Fucks Sake//Angst- kinda?

Its angst. But not.

Yeah.

Idk man, you decide if it's angst or fluff

• • •

"Jesus H., I'll get a job, just stop. I can't get one right now, dad, it's ten at night." Laurens paused, looking down at the sleeping Hamilton, tucked under his arm. The angle was awkward as Laurens held his phone.

"Yes, I know we're in the same time zone." A brief pause. "I know how time zones work, dad."

Laurens huffed, switching which ear the phone went to, shrugging his shoulder to hold his phone in place. Henry scolded his son for sounding condescending. Laurens apologized. Henry went on to say that Martha had a job, asking why she could land a job and not his twenty-four year old son.

"Look, just listen— what? No. Dad. Dad, listen to me. For fucks sake. ..Yes, I'm sorry. ..I said sorry!" Laurens quickly calmed his voice when he saw Hamilton stir and mumble in his sleep. "Alright, yes. Are you listening now? Good, thank you. I can't get a job yet because I have a tight schedule with med school and with trying to find time for my friends and Alexander and—..I'm getting there, stop cutting me off. I don't want to be a lawyer, I can't picture myself doing that even five years into the future. I'm going to be a doctor." Independent. Firm.

"I literally just quit my job maybe three days ago. You're acting like I never even had one. I have enough money for rent, dad. Alexander helps with that. ..—What'd you say about my meds? No, that's covered by insurance. Yes, I'm sure. It's going to be alright, I'll pick up a paid internship for the hospital, I've already got an interview for that. And my friend put in a good word for them."

Hamilton shifted a little, waking up and tiredly looking at Laurens. "Who are you talking..oh." Realization flooded his face. "I still don't like your dad." He mumbled, causing Laurens to frown and flick his forehead. "Ow! Asshole."

Laurens listened to his father go off on a tangent before eventually slowing himself and asking John, almost condescendingly, "Which friend?"

"James." Laurens said simply, much more interested in Hamilton tracing circles on his hip than this conversation. "Yeah, we went to Colombia together."

"..I am currently lying down in bed because like I mentioned, it's ten at night and Alexander and I had dinner already. Yes, we live together. I don't know how you keep forgetting that. Right, we talked about this already. Alright. Yes. Yes. I love you too, dad. Good night." Laurens hung up and turned off his phone, groaning and tucking his head on Hamilton's shoulder.

"Rough chat?" Hamilton asked, stroking the back of his neck reassuringly. He took the answer to be yes after Laurens said something muffled into his shoulder that sounded more or less disappointed but affirmative.

"Your dad doesn't have control of your life, you know that right?" Hamilton told him, then said, "He doesn't," when Laurens didn't seem to agree.

"You know he does, and don't complain he's not your shitty dad."

"He will be."

Laurens had to push away initial shock of that statement before carrying on. "It's not the same. I think he just hate-loves me and there's nothing we can do about it."

"I really don't understand your relationship with him. What's with the constant need to get his approval? You're out of undergraduate school already. You're going to med school, no matter what the hell he says, no matter how many internships he forces upon you—God, don't even get me started on the internships,"

"Then don't talk about it if you don't want to get started."

Hamilton had expected Laurens to be meek, maybe quiet while saying that but the sudden irritation surprised him. Laurens didn't snap at Hamilton, he hardly ever did that, and man, Laurens never really shouted or yelled much either. Laurens was scary enough when he got mad without having to yell. But despite all of this, what Laurens had said was on the brink of snapping.

He hated when Hamilton started talking shit about his father. It was a mentality of, 'My dads a piece of shit, but he's my piece of shit.' Besides, why should Hamilton have an opinion on his family anyway? Not that he's not allowed to have one, it was just offsetting for Laurens to say the least.

"..Fine, I won't. I just don't like how he treats you." Hamilton told Laurens.

The seconds that passed before Laurens answered seemed too long.

"I know you don't. It's just..I can deal with it, alright? I don't want you to get involved in my family business, because that's not your problem and I know—"

"It is to my problem if I'm the one dating you." Hamilton defended.

"I know," Laurens said again. "He's my dad though. He's a dick about some stuff that I would very much rather him not be a dick about but he is. That makes it hard sometimes, but he's still my dad and I still love him regardless. And if it gets to a point where he's being too much of a dick, I'll let you know and I won't deal with his bullshit."

"..Jesus, you're so calm about this shit sometimes it freaks me out."

"Yeah, well. He's my family, I grew up with him, I'm tolerant to it- more or less- at this point. You get used to it."

"You get used to constant bad parenting?" Hamilton asked, then immediately knew that was too far. "Sorry, shit, don't get mad."

John shifted a little and pulled the blanket up a little higher. He smiled, and said, "'m not mad. You're a little right anyway." In other words, he didn't care that much, and was too tired to argue or give a shit.

"Alright, good. Cuz I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that argument would end in us fooling around and I am not up for it." Hamilton said.

"Not even hand stuff?"

"Hm. I'll think about it."