『5』 A long talk

What have I gotten myself into?

Just now I had realized my mistake. I'm in a house full of villains! Who knows what happened if I made one wrong move?! I also don't know their true intentions, because they could easily be lying! Shit! I mentally slapped myself for having agreed to this so blindly and I started to sweat nervously.

"Are you okay?" a deep voice asked me. Oh, right, Dabi is still here too...in this awkward situation... as he sat down next to me.

"Yeah...I was just wondering what's going to happen and stuff..." I answered with an awkward chuckle.

"We will introduce you to the leader tomorrow and hopefully he will let you join. To him that actually depends on how useful you are, so what's your quirk?" he explained to me in his usual bored voice.

I extended my closed hand over to him as it started glowing. When it stopped I slowly opened it to reveal a paper butterfly. Dabi just looked at me confused. "Making insects out of paper is not really useful..."

"That's not my quirk, dumbass!" I raised my voice a bit, but not as much to wake anyone up. I then explained my quirk to him and he finally understood. "Yeah, that's definitely more useful." he mumbled loud enough for me to hear.

"Yeah, it could be useful. Though I probably haven't practiced enough for it to be at its full potential..."

"Don't worry that pretty little head of yours. I'll make sure you can use it to its full extent once you've officially joined." I nodded hesitantly in reply.

"What's your quirk?" I then asked curiously.

"Cremation...." he bluntly answered.

"Wow! That's strong for sure!" I said in awe.

"Of course. Did you expect me to be a weakling?"

I shrugged." I dunno!"

A few seconds passed in silence, until I broke it. "M-May I ask why you decided to bring me here."

"As I said already, you seemed unhappy with your father..."

"But that's still no reason to 'kidnap' someone. Especially for a villain these good intentions are odd."

"Let me explain it this way: If you'd see a kid being bullied, would you step in, even if you hated kids?"

"Of course, I would help that kid, no matter whether I like children or not! The kid is still a living being!" I claimed.

"See!" He said in a matter-of-fact way.

"But I still wouldn't grab that kid, run home with it and offer to adopt it!" I defended myself. "So, what was the real reason?" I demanded an explanation.

"It's a secret."

"Oh, come on! Don't pull that one on me!" I whined with a small chuckle in my tone. "I'm sure it was because of my good looks! You keep calling me pretty after all." I said jokingly with a cat-like grin.

Dabi snickered. "Yeah, sure, dolly." I chuckled too.

"Did you ever want to become a hero?" he changed the topic after our small laughs had died down.

"Yeah...I guess everyone did..." I slightly smiled in nostalgia, but it didn't last long. "...until..."

"Until what?" the male wanted to know. I looked away. "I don't want to talk about it right now..." I mumbled quietly.

"It seems important, so you'll probably have to tell me eventually if we want to work together. Just saying." He shrugged. Was that his attempt to convince me to spill the beans?

I hesitated, but slightly nodded before I began talking. " Until my mother died, my life was great and like every kid I wanted to become a hero, but that all changed after her death. My father became an alcoholic and I was left being treated as his servant....I did and still do blame my father and the heroes for what happened. "

"Why the heroes?" he asked confused.

"You don't need to know that!" I refused to answer his question. "And what about you? Did you want to be a hero once?"

("My father sure did want me to!") He mumbled something quietly, so I didn't understand it. "Huh? What was that?" I asked.

"Nothing! Let's go to bed or we will be in trouble with Kurogiri tomorrow." he said.

I nodded as I crawled onto the other side of the bed and laid down on my side, facing the wall. I was lucky his bed was so big, or else this situation could have been even more awkward. I could hear him lay down next to me and concluding from the fact that I couldn't feel his breath, he was facing the other wall.

I started dozing off to sleep as my senses began to blur and my eyelids seemed heavy when I heard him whisper something.

"If I'd see that kid being bullied, I would step in, because I had been bullied before too."