Barn Party

hey people! :) i'm sorry i'm such a bad writer for keeping you waiting... PLEASE keep reading, keep commenting, and get other people to check it out! love ya! xo

"Got any sevens?" I asked.

"Go fish." Al said.

I picked up a card and waited for Al to take his turn.

"Annabelle..."

"What?"

"We should go somewhere. Or do something. We've always sat in the house on the weekends, and I don't think it's good for ya, honey." Al said, concern in his face.

I sighed. "I'm fine. I don't want to go anywhere. I like staying at home with you,"

"I know, but we oughtta go meet the neighbors or somethin'. Darcy from the deli told me about this barn party they usually have every Friday night."

I didn't respond, taking a sip of my orange soda instead.

"She invited us, and I figured since we're done unpackin' all the boxes, we could check it out. Get to know the community."

"I don't know, Al... I'm not really feeling too well tonight..." I faked a cough. It came out sounding pretty unrealistic, to my disappointment.

"Now, come on." Al smiled, knowing I couldn't ever succesfully lie to him. "How about you change into something nice and we'll leave in about fifteen minutes. Okay?" He said.

I sighed, knowing I probably wouldn't end up winning the argument. "Fine," I trudged upstairs and looked around in the small little closet, trying to find something decent.

Eventually giving up, I decided on my favorite striped long-sleeved shirt, some old denim shorts, and black Chucks.

"You're goin' in that?" Al said, looking me up and down as I walked back down.

"What? What's wrong with this?" I protested.

He sighed. "Alright, grab your jacket and let's go."

I snatched my gray hoodie from the coatrack and followed him out the door.

"Hey, can I drive this time?" I joked.

"I don't think so, Bud. Let's go." Al said, and we headed to Darcy's barn.

Getting out of the car, I could feel the beat of the music and see the lights gleaming from inside the barn. I didn't recognize the music, but it wasn't the hillbilly country type I half-expected.

Al and I walked in, and it actually looked like a party, from what I remembered from t.v. shows and movies. There were a bunch of people dancing and laughing in the middle of the room, and a few others drinking beers on stacks of hay.

"Looks like a fun party, eh?" Al said, nudging me. "Go mingle."

I winced. I hated that word. Mingle. 

"No thanks... I'll just stay with you," I mumbled.

"Aw, you don't want to spend the whole night with your dad, Bud. Go party hardy or somethin.'"

Before I could respond, Darcy walked up to us and smiled. "What do you think?"

"Great party," Al said politely.

"How 'bout you, Annie? You havin' fun?" She asked.

I smiled, trying to make her believe I actually wanted to be there. "Yeah,"

"Actually, we just got here. It seems like a lot of fun, though." Al assured Darcy.

"Well. Let me get you a beer, Al, and I'll introduce you to some of the folks here." She took Al's arm, and I was left alone.

I leaned up against one of the stacks of hay and looked around to see what kind of 'folks' were at this party.

There were some older people in their forties or fifties and some couples who looked like they probably had children at home. Not many people my age were there, though.

As I scanned the crowd, a pair of eyes staring straight back at me made me jump. I shot the guy a glare for scaring me.

He didn't smile, he didn't laugh, he just rolled his eyes and walked towards me.

Surprised, I readjusted myself and pretended not to notice that he was coming over.

"I know you know I'm here. You're not fooling anyone." He said in an annoyed tone, almost belittling me.

I scoffed. "Why were you staring at me?" It creeped me out whenever people did that. I hated being looked at.

"I was trying to catch your attention." He answered matter-of-factly, as if it was something he did all the time. Like it wasn't weird or anything.

"Well, I'm not interested. So will you please leave me alone?"

He laughed and rolled his eyes again. "Neither am I. You looked like you didn't have anyone to talk to either, so I thought I'd introduce myself." His mood seemed to shift all of a sudden from irritated to almost jovial and in a kidding mood.

"By being a creep and staring at me? And how would you know I don't have anyone to hang out with? Maybe I'm waiting for someone. Like my boyfriend." I fought.

He leaned against the stack of hay beside me and folded his arms across his chest. "Didn't you just move in like, yesterday? How would you already have your boyfriend visiting?"

I paused. "Wait. How did you know that?"

"It's a small town. Word gets around fast." He shrugged.

I tugged on my shirt, uncomfortable with his bluntness. I was used to people beating around the bush when they talked to me, not blurting out whatever came to mind.

"I'm Elliott, by the way. Nice to meet you... Annie, right?" He smiled.

"Wow, you really are a stalker." I laughed.

"Hey, you wanna go somewhere cool?" Elliott asked suddenly, flipping his black hair out of his eyes.

"Uh, I'm not sure I really want to go anywhere with you..." I looked down at my shoes.

He laughed as if I was joking. "Don't be a wimp. Come on."

"How do I know you're not gonna try to sell me drugs or rape me?" I asked, humorously this time.

"You don't." He smirked, grabbed my arm, and led me out the door.

"Alright, alright. I'm following you now. You don't need to drag me around like a puppy." I protested once we were back outside in the cool night air. He let me go, smiling. "Where are we even going? Should I pull up 911 on my phone just in case?" I joked.

"Maybe. Follow me." Elliott said, mystery in his voice.

to be continued....

how did you like it? i'm sorry i take forever to upload. i'm just so busy ahhh. i hope someone's reading...! and i hope people keep reading too! i'll try to make it worth the wait! i promise! <3

i love you guys. <3 comment! vote! tell me if you like it! :) xoxo