Year 1 - The Forbidden Forest

This can't get any worse.

All five of us now standing in Professor McGonagall's study on the first floor, waiting without saying another word. I glare over to Draco, his glorified smirk fading quickly from his face. Hermione is trembling next to me.

Professor McGonagall looks on between all of us before speaking, "so many students out of bed in one night! I've never heard of such a thing before! You, Miss Nyx Granger, despite being in Slytherin I thought you would know better. Same goes for your sister, I thought you two would have more sense. As for you, Mr. Potter, I thought Gryffindor meant more to you than this.

"Therefore, punishment for your actions... Fifty points will be taken from Gryffindor and fifty from Slytherin."

"Fifty?" gasps Harry.

"Fifty points each," says Professor McGonagall, breathing heavily through her long, pointed nose. "And to ensure it doesn't happen again all five of you will receive detention."

With this Draco speaks up, although I internally squeal with joy knowing that he will also be punished, "excuse me Professor, perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said the five of us?"

Professor McGonagall looks down at Draco. "No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy. See as honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will join your classmates in detention."

News of our nightly adventure spread quickly the next morning, as at first, the Gryffindor's passing the giant hourglasses thought there was a mistake with them as just yesterday Gryffindor was in the lead and now Slytherin is back on top.

At least Slytherin was much further ahead with points than the other two Houses, so my fifty-point loss didn't make much of an impact. But as for Harry; being one of the most popular and admired people at the school... He has now become one of the most hated people; even the Ravenclaw's and Hufflepuff's turned on him.

The whole school is abuzz from the incident. Obviously all the Slytherin's earned heated stares from the rest of the school as the day passes on, but our entire House play it off by clapping hands for Harry, Ron, and Hermione every time they walk past. Some even will whistle or cheer on, "thanks Potter, we owe you one!"

For once though, Hermione started keeping her head down in Potions not drawing attention to herself and I'm sure she did this with the rest of her classes too.

About a week before the exams, notes are delivered to Harry, Hermione, Draco, and me at the breakfast table. Our notes read:

Your detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight.

Meet Mr. Filch in the entrance hall.

Professor M. McGonagall

I hadn't spoken to Draco since the incident, even though he's tried throwing the usual teasing remarks at me; not forgiving him for ratting us out. It doesn't stop him from making a comment as he reads the note, "I can't believe we still have to do detention. Still worth it since Gryffindor is stone last now."

At eleven o'clock that night, Draco and I stand in the entrance hall with Mr. Filch as we wait for the others.

"I can't believe I have to be dragged into this detention as well. I didn't do anything wrong," hisses Draco.

I turn to him. "You snitched Malfoy. Snitches deserve every bit of punishment as what the perpetrators do."

"Hey now, don't make it sound like telling on somebody is a bad thing," says Draco.

"Sometimes it is, especially when one of your own is also in the firing line... Although if I have to admit it... What you did at least allowed us to be in the lead again for the House championship. So, err..."