Year 1 - Christmas

Christmas is coming. Hermione and I heading back home for the Christmas holidays. By this time Hogwarts is covered in several feet of snow. The lake frozen solid. The drafty corridors have become icy, and a bitter wind is rattling the windows in the classrooms. At least our common room is being kept warm due to the icy weather.

I head for the Great Hall on Saturday, hauling my trunk with me. I sit down by the two Weasley twins. The Great Hall being prepared for all the students which are staying behind; Festoons of holly and mistletoe hang all around the walls and no less than twelve towering Christmas trees stand around the room; some sparkling with tiny icicles and some glittering with hundreds of candles.

"I can't believe the time has soared by so quickly!" I plonk down next to George. Fred seated opposite me.

George places his arm around my shoulders. "We going to miss you over Christmas."

"Yeah, we going to miss our 'Madam Mischief'," Fred adds smirking.

"Well, I made you guys something. BUT –" I take out two slim boxes from my robe pockets and freeze before I hand them over to the twins. "You are not to open these before Christmas." I then hand each one a box.

"Alright, alright," says Fred as he snatches his.

George takes his tenderly from me before almost plummeting me over with a hug. "Thanks Nyx!"

I giggle as I respond, "pleasure. Just something small to signify our friendship."

The twins chorus, "aw you're so sweet!"

"You guys never told me why you suddenly are staying for Christmas?" I ask.

"Our parents decided to take a loving vacation without us to Romania," answers George.

"To visit our brother Charlie. He works with dragons," Fred chimes in.

"What! That's amazing!" I exclaim. "I've always loved mythical creatures; it must be a dream come true to work with dragons. They my favorite you know."

"Can you keep it down! We trying to play chess here," shrieks Ron with his snobbish tone. Harry just looking on between us all.

"And we're trying to have a conversation over here!" exclaim the twins and me.

Ron protests, "why are you even here Nyx? Hermione is clearly not."

"What does it look like I'm doing, except visiting my two best friends. Ron, I certainly know trolls that can outwit you if you can't even figure out why I'm here." I fire back at Ron, which is staring back at me dumbfounded.

Shaking his head to clear off the stupid look on his face; Ron snorts, "please. Best friends? With a Slytherin? Don't make me laugh."

"Oy, just so you know; Nyx is the best Slytherin I know and that's saying a lot. She is our friend, and you should mind your mouth with what you say about her," George cuts off his brother.

Fred adds, "otherwise we'll give you a beating! C'mon George let's go."

The twins both stand up and give me a goodbye hug as they speak simultaneously once again, "bye Nyx. Thanks for the present."

I glare at Ron and Harry while the twins exit the hall. At the very moment that they leave Hermione comes strolling in, stopping between myself and Harry.

"I see you've finally packed," says Ron, trying to avoid my fiery gaze.

"I see you haven't," Hermione responds.

Ron sits up a little straighter. "Change of plans. Parents decided to go to Romania for Christmas to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there."