Year 1 - Halloween

About a week later, since the midnight incident with Filch, Hermione is still not speaking much to Ron and Harry. Meaning that we are now spending more time together in the library, even if I don't want to which causes her to drag me along in any case.

Seated at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall for breakfast, I dig into a fruit salad as Tracey speaks, "with Halloween coming along next month the older students have put us up for decorating the common room and they said it's compulsory."

I answer, with a mouth full of food, "I don't mind, Halloween is my favorite time of year." Swallowing the food, I add, "maybe I can play a trick or two on Pansy."

"If you do, just let me know I'll gladly help," replies Tracey with an evil grin on her face.

Everyone's attention is suddenly pulled to the ceiling as six screech owls flood into the Hall carrying a long, thin package, which you can obviously make out to be a broom. To my surprise I see it drop down in front of Harry. "Well, that isn't obvious at all. Reckon it's got something to do with that flying stunt he pulled last week?"

Tracey looks over to me. "All I know is a lot of people aren't going to be happy about that. A first year receiving such special conditions; they going to blame it on him being THE famous Harry Potter."

We notice Harry and Ron sprinting out of the Great Hall clutching the new parcel. I comment, "there is no ways that they are going to keep that a secret. Half the school knows already."

Tracey and I continue eating our breakfast as we discuss our classes ahead for the day, untroubled by the parcel that now has everyone talking.

I decide to go for a second bowl of fruit salad and cover it in custard this time, as Draco sits down in the empty seat beside us.

Scowling he mutters, "I can't believe Potter has a broom. That means they probably put him in the Quidditch team. Think's he is higher than everyone else."

I barely contain my laughter looking over to Draco. "You do know that if you didn't pull that stunt with him during our flying lesson then this wouldn't have happened. You basically brought that to him on a silver platter."

Grumbling, he gazes over at me with his cold emotionless grey eyes, "yes thank you for pointing that out, as he did as well."

Oddly, I feel a little sorry for him, which he doesn't actually deserve given that he purposefully went out of his way to make me feel even more uncomfortable on a broom. 

Finishing up my breakfast I ask Draco, "look how about this, as much as I hate how much complaining you do, why don't you join me this Saturday? Then I will unconditionally listen to all the complaining you do without muttering a word except 'yes', 'you're completely right' and 'I understand why you're so infuriated.'"

Pansy decides it upon herself to add her sense into the matter. "Why on earth would he want to spend his time with the likes of you. He could much rather spend it with me, and I certainly won't pretend to listen either."

Draco turns to Pansy in a dramatic manner. "If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it. And I can certainly make my own decisions thank you." Draco then turns towards me. "You have a deal."

I'm taken aback, I didn't think he would agree to come with me which is probably why I offered in the first place, but the damage is already done. I reply as I stand from the table, "great. And the space I'm taking you to is also great for if you just want to sit and brood silently as well. Helps clear your mind. The choice is of course up to you."

Tracey and I grab our bags and begin heading towards our first lesson for the day.

The common room half empty except for Pansy, her crew, and a few older students, for a Saturday afternoon as I wait for Draco. I decided that we will meet here a little while after lunch so that I can make sure Pansy does not follow us. To my delight she came straight back here after lunch and is now sitting on one of the couches with her friends, casting a furious glance my way every so often as they whisper among themselves.