Chapter Thirty-Two: Bow Down pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"He violated you." It wasn't a question. At least it didn't sound like one.

The fierceness in his tone made me glance up, and the fire in his black eyes told me that what he said definitely wasn't a question-- it was a declaration of war.

"I am getting you out of here. Tonight." He spoke through gritted teeth. "I'm not sure how, but I swear it will happen."

"Duke knows about our plan." I whispered pitifully.

"Shit,"

"He said he would help."

Lucius raised a dark eyebrow. "He did?"

I nodded.

"Good. Excellent." He scratched at his stubble, momentarily lost in thought. Seconds ticked by with him staring off, scratching his stubble, when he finally spoke again. "Okay. Duke has made contact with the harbormaster, and a boat should arrive just before midnight."

I felt my spirits lift. "Really?"

That was quick.

"Wait, I thought he had to be near someone to be able to use his ability on them." I added as the notion occurred to me.

"Under normal circumstances he would." Lucius nodded. "But your blood has made him stronger."

"Oh," I felt a blush creep on my cheeks, remembering what happened when he fed from me earlier that morning. "So what do we do now?"

"Duke and I will get everything ready for your departure. You act just as you normally would." Lucius headed for the door, speaking as he walked. "Go to your afternoon classes and have dinner with your friends. Duke will contact you when it's time to go."

"What about Dean Lachlan's dinner invitation?" I called just as his hand touched the knob.

"I will tell him you're not ready to talk." He said over his shoulder before opening the door. "While I try not to break every bone in his body."

~~~

I did as Lucius had suggested. I went to my other classes, had dinner with Connor and Jo. And I felt great, jubilant even...but I was also anxious.

Time was moving painfully slow, and there was the threat of Dean Lachlan finding out our plan. I tried not to think about it too much, but I couldn't ignore the nagging sense of dread trying to settle in.

"How are you gonna do your hair?" Jo asked from her bed.

I gazed up from the book I was reading, looking at her quizzically. "Huh?"

She rolled over to sit up. "You know? For the ball?"

"I don't know." I shrugged. "Guess I haven't given it much thought."

She hopped off her bed and strolled to the bathroom. "I think yours would look great curled." She called from the other side of the door.

"Maybe. What about you?" I asked a second before the toilet flushed.

Jo came back to sit on her bed, gazing up in a dreamy way. "Oh, I was thinking of pinning it up. Did I tell you that Connor's taking me?"

My jaw dropped with a giggle. "No. When did this happen?"

Jo went on to tell me about Connor asking her to the ball during lunch, blushing as she spoke.