"Hey mum, hey dad, when did this end?
When did you loose your happiness,
I'm here alone inside of this broken home,
Who's right, who's wrong who really cares?
The fault, the blame, the pain's still there,
I'm here alone inside of this broken home."

You gotta let it go, your losing all your hope
Nothing left to hold, locked out in the cold,
You painted memories, then washed out all the scenes
I'm stuck in between, a nightmare and lost dreams

"Hey mum, hey dad, when did this end?
When did you loose your happiness,
I'm here alone inside of this broken home,"

"Hey mum, hey dad, when did this end?
When did you loose your happiness,
I'm here alone inside of this broken home,
Who's right, who's wrong who really cares?
The fault, the blame, the pain's still there,
I'm here alone inside of this broken home."

I stopped and heard a soft "wow". I stood up startled and saw a girl filming on her phone. No way did she film that, what if it gets to Jonah. That was about our parents he will thing I'm a nut job.
"Were you filming that?"
"Yeah sorry. Did you write that song? What's it about? I mean it's kinda obvious what it's about but like was it from personal experience or." She talked fast. But she seemed nice and I could really use a friend.

"Um, well it is a kinda personal song. I'll be honest I would love to have someone to talk to about it but if you don't mind, could I know you first. Oh and could you possibly delete the video?"

"Oh it's okay I'm not gonna put the video anywhere I was just kinda mesmerised by your voice. You are really good you know and that song was so well so emotional. Anyways sorry, sometimes I just don't have a filter. My name is Emily, my friends call me skippy, mostly because apparently my teeth look like kangaroo teeth, but also because I like skipping to my destination. It's like running but fun. Are you new, I haven't seen you here before, why are you at school early, what year are you in?" I chuckled slightly at Emily's energy levels.

"Hi Emily, my name is Kensilina. I know it's weird. I go by kenzie and my friends call me Kenz. I'm in year 9 and yeah I moved from Canberra, the reason behind the move is sort of also to do with the song I sang. Also I think your teeth look fine and I absolutely agree with you on the skipping. I'm here early because me and my br... sorry I'm here early because I had to get my schedule and locker, but I had extra time so I just sorta came here, why are you here early?" I almost broke rule one already, no mentioning I have a brother.

"Well Kenz, i am also in year 9. Hopefully we have some classes together. Also were you about to say brother? I'm here early because my mum's work starts early so she just drops me off early. I usually just play keyboard but it was kinda already taken."
Emily sat next to me and got up her timetable on her phone to compare to mine. We had English, sport and math together. I was very happy with that.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, can you tell me more about that song?" I started playing with my fingers.
"You have to promise me that what we talk about here doesn't leave this room." She stuck out her pinky and we promised. You can't break a pinky promise they are stronger than anything, then I continued.

"My parents have been fighting recently. It started off with just bickering but a few weeks ago it began to get violent. Not extremely violent just sort of like a school fight if that makes sense, but a really bad school fight. There is a lot of throwing things as they try to contain their anger. One day they started fighting in front of me and my brother and I started crying. Oh yeah. I have an older brother. His name is Jonah and he is in year 12, but he doesn't really want people to know we are related so if you could just pretend I didn't tell you that. Anyway. So they were fighting and then they started shoving and punching each other and I started crying more. They didn't realise I was there until they knocked over a vase and it shattered on my leg causing me to scream, it was a glass vase and a big slice of glass wedged it's way into my skin. I had to get stitches and there were also a few other small scratches." I pulled up the leg of my school pants and showed Emily the scar.
"They decided to try and work things out and thought that moving to a new city would help so here I am. I know the song seems more serious but sometimes when they are fighting I honestly think one of them is gonna kill the other. I feel trapped all the time. Like no one can hear me. Music is sort of my way of venting but I don't sing at home because they would just laugh at me. I am always scared that if I play in front of my brother he will say I'm no good. He is amazing and honestly my biggest inspiration but we aren't close anymore and I really miss that."

Emily hugged me from the side.
"You know I think me and you are gonna be great friends. And you can talk to me anytime you want," the bell rang, "come on we have English."

We walked side by side to English and I was actually feeling good about school until I entered the classroom and realised it was English. Now I was definitely going to make a fool of myself. I saw that everyone had a copy of Jane eyre in their hands. I sat down next to Emily and sort of just stared at the book dreading the next 100 minutes. I turned to Emily,
"Emily?"
"Yeah?"
"Um i have dyslexia so I am kinda terrified right now and I think if this goes bad I should probably warn you that I get panic attacks really easily." The words were rushed but Emily just looked at me calmly.
"It'll be alright just breathe and I will help you get through it."
"Thankyou."
I looked around the room, some people were already staring as I was the new girl. They will see me crumble then the whole school will know.

This sucks