6: The Outsiders

It didn't take me long to realize that we're both social outcasts. Outsiders. We're both the only friend the other has ever had, automatically making us the best friend the other has ever had. And I know that I wouldn't ever want anyone else as a friend except him.

          Will and I sit in my room on my bed—with the door open, of course, per my parents' request, or demand. We've decided that the best way to get to know each other is to simply ask each other random questions about each other, and then we both answer that question.

          "Your turn," I say.

          He looks up at the ceiling thoughtfully, and then looks back at me once he's thought of a question. "What's your favorite book?"

          "Ooh, that's a hard one," I admit. "How about my top five? The Outsiders, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies, and The Catcher in the Rye. Oh, and add The Call of the Wild to that list."

          "Impressive. You read a lot, don't you?"

          "Whenever I'm not at home, doing homework, writing, or drawing, I'm probably reading or sleeping," I laugh. "Your answer?"

          "Hmm . . . I'd have to say The Maze Runner," he says.

          "Seriously?" I laugh

          "It's a good series!" he says defensively.

          "Yeah, I agree. But I prefer classics." I pause for a second, and then remember that it's my turn to ask a question. "What's your favorite color?"

          "Purple. What's yours?"

          "Green. Not bright green, like neon chartreuse, but right in the middle. The perfect kind of green, y'know?"

          "I think so," he says. "What about your favorite movie?"

          "Easy: Donnie Darko," I say confidently.

          "Why? That movie's super weird."

          "Not if you understand it. Trust me, I've spent actual weeks researching the whole plot and story structure, and the meaning of it all. It's so fascinating, and it's much more complex than most people think it is." He looks at me with a careful expression of interest. "Sorry, I'm kind of obsessed with psychological thrillers. Watching and writing them."

          "No, that's really cool. It seems like the only things everyone else is interested in these days are weed and video games. You're different." His bright smile causes me to smile in return.

          "So, your answer?" I break the short silence.

          He stares at me thoughtfully. "Star Wars," he says matter-of-factly.

          I sigh and roll my eyes at him. "Of course," I laugh. "I was gonna slap you if you said Batman, which I can't stand."

          "Well it's a good thing I didn't say that then," he laughs with me. He pauses for a while, and then looks at me again. "What do you see in me?"

          His question takes me aback. "What do you mean? As a friend?"

          "You know what I mean," is his only explanation. He's suddenly very somber.

          I collect my thoughts before I answer his question. "What I see in you is light unlike anything else I've ever seen. I've always seen the world as a dark place, but ever since I met you, I haven't even had any negative thoughts. I've never felt like that before."

          He just looks at me, not knowing what to say. Then he stares directly into my eyes, and I get lost in his soft blue-green ones. "Lizzie, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I never wanna lose you."

          "You won't," I tell him. "I promise."