Ch. 211 and Ch. 212

Start from the beginning

Chu Lian was shocked. "A huge sum? Then how could that wall possibly be in this state? It looks like it will crumble in one hit!"

Chu Lian accidentally blurted out her true thoughts.

Tang Yan didn't mind and simply continued. "Before we talk about where the money the court sends ends up, there are other more important reasons behind this. Once you enter the city, you'll be able to see why without any hints from me."

Chu Lian hadn't expected him to have held back information at the last moment. Was Tang Yan trying to test her?

Chu Lian didn't really mind. She nodded and ordered Manager Qin to lead the carriages into the city. With the Empress Dowager's decree, it was easy enough to enter the city.

Trash littered the streets of Liangzhou. When a breeze blew by, a strange odour drifted up from the ground, giving them the urge to puke. It was clear that no one had come by to clean this place for quite some time.

Chu Lian slightly lifted the curtains of her carriage and peeked outside. When she caught sight of the situation outside, her brows furrowed together. Luckily, it was winter. If this had been the middle of a hot summer, this would have been the perfect breeding ground for diseases and the like.

Tang Yan had already sent someone ahead of them to arrange for a place to rest, so they were headed straight there.

When they reached their destination, Chu Lian looked up at the simple plaque hung above the courtyard entrance: He Estate. She was then informed that this was the residence of the prefect of Liangzhou City.

The residence looked to be about 3500 square metres in area. In any other city of the Great Wu, it would only be some rich country man's humble farm abode, but in Liangzhou City, it was considered one of the best residences around.

Although the houses in the estate were also made of mud, at least the outer layer was made of processed earth and the roofs were made of crude tiles instead of thatch.

When they came to this street, it was clear that the conditions here were slightly better than that of the other areas of this city.

Chu Lian was carried off the carriage by Wenlan. She couldn't put any weight on her leg, and she had another four to five days to go before it was fully healed. Right as she got off the carriage, Chu Lian spotted a half-grown child dressed in furs squatting in the midst of some rubble not too far away. There was a pile of small skins in front of him which looked like sheepskin.

He was currently curled up in the corner of the ruined wall, sneakily glancing their way with his wide eyes, as if trying to guess at the purchasing power of their party.

Chu Lian looked right back at him with her lips pressed together.

The half-grown child seemed to have abandoned his original misgivings and came running over with the pile of sheepskins hugged to his body. It was only when he was a little closer that Chu Lian could clearly discern his dirt-covered features.

Before the child could reach Chu Lian, he was captured by one of the strong private soldiers and pressed to the ground.

Mo Chenggui's expression was as dark as usual. "Third Young Madam, the northern border isn't as safe as the inner walls of the capital. If we meet some Tuhun scouts just like the last time, Third Young Master will blame this Old Mo again."

Wenlan could hear the thorns in Mo Chenggui's words, standing as she was next to Chu Lian. She was about to move in front of Chu Lian to angrily defend her, but Chu Lian tugged her back and sent her a look.

Wenlan suppressed the anger in her chest and retreated.

Chu Lian sent a faint smile towards Mo Chenggui. "Many thanks to Uncle Mo for the reminder. I'll be careful."