"Okay." Sam states, pulling Jack's attention off of Dakota. "And, um...your powers. Did she teach you those, too, or..." He trails off slightly.

"No, I..." Jack denies, standing up and walking toward the cell wall. "I don't know why these things happen. It's like I'm me, but...not me."

Dakota frowns, watching the boy struggle to understand what's happening. He didn't ask for any of this, it was just shoved onto him.

"Jack, look, um...before you were born, you--you opened up a door to another world." Sam speaks up, Dakota elbows him sharply but her uncle ignore her. "Do you remember that?"

Jack lowers her head, drawing in a large breath. "Yes." He says quietly.

"Okay, um, could you do that again?" Sam asks, Dakota elbows him again, harder this time. "Stop." He hisses at her, Dakota couldn't help but straighten up at his tone--he sounded almost like Dean when he scolds her.

"I don't...I..." Jack struggles for a few seconds, before blinking in realization. "I have to find my father. He'll protect me."

"Jack," Dakota stands, walking closer to the scared boy. "Listen to me. That's not what Lucifer does, he's not good."

Jack chuckles slightly. "Lucifer? No, that's not his name. My father is Castiel."

Dakota's face falls, her eyes turning sad as she stares at him. Jack's brow furrows at her face, not liking that she looks so upset. Dakota took an unconscious step back, returning to her spot next to Sam.

"What?" Sam asks in shock, his hand going towards Dakota's.

"My mother, she said Castiel, he would keep me safe." Jack answers, sitting back on the bed across from them. "She said the world was a dangerous place. That's--that's why I couldn't be a baby or a child. I...that's why I had to grow up fast." He explains. "That's why I chose him to be my father."

Dakota releases the breath that she didn't know she was holding. She looks down at her lap, fidgeting with her fingers.

"Where is he?" Jack continues, his eyes slightly teary.

Dakota and Sam both look away sadly, the former's eyes water. She drawls in a shaky breath before looking up at Jack.

"He's...he's dead." She reveals, shuffling closer to Sam.

Silence hangs over the three, each stuck in their own grief. Each of them wishing that their angel was there to help them.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Dakota paces around the cell, ignoring Sam's concerned looks. Dean walks through the door as Dakota passes the bars again.

"All right, we're good to go." He tells them, reaching his hand out to Dakota upon recognizing the red around her eyes. Dakota grips his hand through the bars, giving him a soft smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"Really?" Sam asks, shocked and confused.

"Yeah, the sheriff--I gave her the talk." Dean explains, casting suspicious glances at Jack. "She's gonna need a minute, but she's cool."

Dakota looks back at Jack, frowning as he just stares ahead of him blankly.

"So...let's grab Damien here and find some place quiet..." Dean clicks his tongue and brushing his thumb against his neck.

"No, no, dad." Dakota stops him from turning away. She watches him closely. "Jack is not evil." She urges. "He's just a kid, like me, dad."

"Are you...Dakota, he's not like you...at all. He's Lucifer's son." Dean presses.