He does a breathy laugh. "Yeah? You always say that."

My lips part and my eyebrows raise. Wow.

"Strike a nerve there, did I?" he continues when I fail to reply. "I'm coming over, I'll make it up to you."

"Don't bother," I say angrily, throwing my wallet angrily down onto the bench. "I won't be here."

"Why, where are you going?"

"Out with Rhett and I'm turning my phone off," my hands shake as I lean onto the bench. "And Jake, this is my last warning. Leave me the hell alone."

I hang up and toss it onto the kitchen bench. I kick my foot out and knock over the bar stool. I angrily throw my hand through my hair and sag to the floor. Jake fucking Haze. I hate him, sometimes. He makes me so damn mad.

Heavily sighing, I get to my feet. I right the chair, drain my drink and look in the mirror. My eyes look a little wild and my hair messy. I spend a moment trying to fix it up and compose myself. A loud knock jolts me back to reality.

"Hey," I greet when I open the door. "How are you?"

"Good," Rhett replies with a smile. "Ready?"

"Yep."

I lock the door behind me and walk side-by-side with Rhett towards his car. He walks me to the passenger side and opens the door for me.

"Well, that's a bit cute," I flash him a grin.

He chuckles. "I'm a gentleman, what can I say?"

My foot is on the floor of his car but I pause. My hand rests on the roof as I hover, thinking.

"You okay?" he asks.

"I have to be honest with you," I blurt.

He looks panicked for a moment. "What?"

I sigh, pulling my foot back out. "There's been some stuff go down with Jake."

"Oh."

"I was going to cancel, if I'm honest. But he really pissed me off. So, I agreed to go on this date. I really do want to hang with you, but a part of me agreed because he is furious about it." I hang my head, staring at my feet. "I'm really sorry. I feel like an ass."

"Wow," he breathes. "That's..."

"Horrible?"

"Really honest," he says instead. "You could have shown up tonight, lead me on and not said a word. That's really bold of you to come out and say all of that."

"Really?" I murmur.

"Really. I'm impressed," he offers me a half-smile. "And I'm still keen to go on this date. Or, we can call it a hang out. Whatever you want. I just want to get to know you, if you're cool with that."

"I'm definitely cool with that," I smile. "Thanks."

"Any time. But let's go because my fingertips are starting to go numb," he laughs.

"Sure," I reply, sliding into the car. He waits until I'm reaching for my seatbelt before closing the door.

He adjusts the heat and fiddles with the stereo for a moment, before we begin driving. His car is extremely tidy and has a hint of a pine scent mixed with something I'm not quite sure of. It's a nice combination though.

"What did you get up to today?" he asks.

"I went for a really long run this morning and then went to the beach for a quick dip. I had to dedicate my afternoon to my history project due next week," I answer, settling back into my seat. "What about you?"