|28| Run

Darius

Quickly and quietly, Naya and I gathered our things and exited the room.

To remain inconspicuous, we took the back exit instead of the main one. We both shifted and took off into the woods.

"Did you catch any scents?" Naya asks through our mind link.

"Faintly," I answer. "I think one of them was my dads'."

I haven't had time to think about how my father would react to me running away from the pack. I know for a fact that he's livid. There's no surprise he's was sent after me.

Usually, I'd be too scared to disappoint my father but with this...I don't care. Sure if he finds us, or if we ever return I'll have to face his wrath but I made a decision I don't regret. I won't be sorry for anything except for putting the pack at risk.

We kept running for a while until I could tell that we were far enough away from the inn to get some rest.

"Finally," Naya huffs as she sits down on the ground next to me. "I'm hungry."

"There's a few snacks left in my bag."

She snatches my bag and digs through it until she finds a bag of chips.

"I don't know how long I can do this fugitive thing," she sighs with a frown then looks at me.

"I'm sorry if I've fucked up your life. I know being beta is like a huge responsibility and all."

"You don't have to be sorry about anything," I tell her. "If we could rewind, I'd do the same thing over and over again." I offer her a comforting smile.

"You're crazy," she blushes and continues eating.

After we were well rested, we started off on our feet.

I definitely agreed with Naya when she said she can't do the fugitive stuff for long. So after much debating we decided it was best to go somewhere they would not expect us to be.

Hopefully the community of abandoned camping cabins west of these woods are still there and in habitable shape. It'd be the perfect place for us to stay at for now.

"Why are you gripping me so hard?" I glance over at Naya, referring to the death grip she's holding on my arm.

"It's fucking dark as shit," she hisses. "I don't like being in these unknown, and unprotected woods like this."

"You're scared?" I ask with slight humor in my voice.

"Yes, asshole," she answers, making me laugh.

"Relax, you're safe with me."

"I'd better be," she grumbles.

2 days later...

"Well this is not what we expected."

Naya held a grossed out expression while looking around the abandoned but not-so-abandoned property.

We were wrong not to expect anyone to be here. One thing is clear, the cabins were definitely abandoned by the company that owned them. However, rouges have made sure they didn't stay that way for long.

There are eight cabins total, and a concierge office. Only five of the cabins seems as if they are being used. There were clothes lines strung about the porches and dying fire pits in the yards.

"Let's go to that one," Naya pointed to one of the empty cabins.