She gathered her items and walked to the next checkpoint to enter the United States. Signage crowded the walls, earning her attention. Do you have Vanishing Complex? One sign asked. At the bottom corner was a stamp reading: Paid for by the Chamber of Soundness.

Sofia waited in line, reading each sign until she was next in line for the customs agent.

"Did you pack your own bag?" the agent asked.

"Yes." Sofia answered.

"Are you currently on medication for Vanishing Complex or have you experienced symptoms of Vanishing Complex within the last three months?"

Sofia dropped her eyes to the arm band the agent was wearing. Chamber of Soundness.

"No." she answered quickly.

The agent lingered on her for a few more seconds before letting her pass through. Sofia picked up her pace until she was at her terminal, away from all the agents.

***

A wave of familiarity washed over Sofia as she landed on American soil. The Detroit skyline warmed her heart, but sent a torrent of emotion through her veins. During her flight, Tara had texted her the address of her friend. Sofia stared out of the taxi window, watching memories play out for all the familiar landmarks she passed by. Detroit hadn't changed much, and for that, she was grateful.

The taxi stopped in front of a  decrepit home, the shutters boarded up, dead grass on the lawn. The neighboring houses were in no better shape. Sofia paid the driver and hauled her suitcase behind her up the cracked driveway. A sense of danger tingled over her skin raising goosebumps. She surveyed her surroundings suddenly aware that this was the perfect place to hide a body, maybe hers.

She reached the door and timidly knocked. She could hear its echo inside. A few seconds elapsed before three locks clicked on the other side of the door. It was pulled open to reveal a man no older than her. His jet black floppy hair shrouded his eyes, but Sofia could still make out his pupils, dark as night.

"I'm a friend of Tara's." she said.

He took a quick scan of the outside before inviting her in. Sofia was assaulted with a shuttered smell and day old pizza. She held back from making a face as the man she had just met stepped in front of her. He pushed the hair out of his eyes and extended his hand for a greeting.

"I'm Tom Harris." he said.

"Sofia Mondragon.

"So, Tara sent you here, huh? Who are you running from?"

The question struck Sofia. Was Tara in the business of hiding runaways?

"No one, but she said you could help me." Sofia explained.

"Okay. Do you know what I do here? You seem unsure of why you're here."

"I couldn't be more lost."

Tom chuckled and curled his finger at her to follow him into the living room. Sofia spotted a gray cat sitting on the sofa licking its paws. It sensed her presence and gave her its attention for five seconds before returning to its grooming. Tom plopped down on an empty seat and offered her one as well.

Sofia was sure nothing good ever happened on that sofa, but she sat down anyway.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

"I was hoping you'd tell me." she replied.

"No, I mean, what is your business here that Tara said I could help?"

"I'm trying to infiltrate."

"Where?"

"Doesn't matter."

"I make fake identities, so yeah, it does matter." he said.

Sofia bit her lip, glancing at the cat. Men with pets were trustworthy, right?

"I'm trying to infiltrate the Chamber of Soundness."

Tom stared at her before breaking into laughter. Sofia's cheeks reddened, as she sat letting his voice wash over her in shame.

"Are you kidding? People try to bust out of there and you're trying to get in. Maybe you do belong in there." he said.

"Can you help me or not?" Sofia snapped, rolling her eyes.

Tom held his hands up, cutting his laughter short.

"Relax. You don't need a fake identity for the Chamber of Soundness to pick you up."

"I want to be rounded up from a school. I want to know what they're doing to these kids." Sofia said.

Tom sized her up then nodded.

"I guess you could be 17."

He stood, disappearing into a back room. Sofia could hear him rustling about somewhere before he returned carrying a black case.

Tom lifted the lid, holding up a stack of cards.

"Pick your school, and pick your name."

She reached out for the stack.

"Word of advice, all girl school, prime candidates for the Chamber. Something about hundreds of hormonal teenage girls in one place really gets you depressed."

Sofia thumbed through the various schools, landing on the Susan B. Anthony School for Girls.

"This one." Sofia said, handing him the card. "And I want the name Lily Valdez."

"You got it Lily."

Hi guys! How was this chapter?

Sofia has made it back to the US and is prepping her infiltration.

Will it work?

Can Tom help her?