Chapter 1. Seventeen Candles

Elodie Durand flung open the two doors of her wardrobe. Inside were a series of dresses and various cardigans and jackets of various sleeve lengths. Nothing exposed her shoulder or upper arms. That was a requirement of her mother, Jinn, whenever they went to buy clothing.

She glanced at the Hello Kitty clock on the lavender walls of her bedroom. She had to get a move on. Grateful that she'd taken a bath the previous night, Elodie pulled a black peasant dress and a red leather jacket with a quarter-sleeve off of the hangers. She liked how leather jacket had the same powerful shape as the blazers she wore to her Speech and Debate tournaments.

That reminded her, she would have to work on her case for the upcoming tournament before and between her classes.

Blessed with glossy hair, it took a simple brush-through, some foundation, and strategic use of her pumpkin spice perfume to become suitable for school. She looked to the Hello Kitty clock again.

Brad, her older brother, promised to leave her behind if she didn't get out there soon. With a sigh, she slung her similarly Hello Kitty-themed backpack on her shoulders. In her mind, it should have been illegal to go to school on your birthday.

But when she got home, there would be a cake from Nani, her grandmother, and Jinn and Scott, her parents, would have gifts on the table— it would be wonderful.

I just have to get through another school day.

Normally, Elodie didn't feel this tired on a school day. Normally, however, she slept well— not last night. Last night, she'd had a terrible nightmare of a dragon, with crimson scales and eyes of eerie gold, clawing at her and chasing her through a forest she didn't recognize.

Her heart raced just thinking about the dream again.

Elodie checked the light pink curtains. They were closed, so she briefly took off her jacket and pulled down the sleeve of her peasant dress. On her right shoulder was a birthmark shaped like a dragon.

Brad had one too, and so did Jinn. Her mother claimed that is was hereditary on her side, but she was pretty tight-lipped about it otherwise. It was to stay covered up at all times, including at the pool, much to Brad's distaste.

Why? Jinn never explained. But from what Elodie could guess, it was about being as normal as possible. Anything different or strange was unwanted by the Durand family— especially by Jinn.

Elodie heard a knock on the door, and quickly adjusted her dress and put on her jacket as Jinn walked in, supposedly summoned by Elodie's own thoughts. In her hand was a plastic cup from the smoothie place she worked at downtown.

"Good morning, birthday girl." The smile was strangely stiff on Jinn's face. Elodie felt unease. "I made a smoothie for you, something special for you to try."

"Oh, thanks, Mama." Elodie took the cup, cool in her hands on the warm September day.

"Don't stick around after school, be ready for Brad, he will get you home a little earlier than normal." Jinn's smile gave way to a grave expression.

"Is everything okay?" Elodie asked.

"Yes, we just have a few extra surprises for you," Jinn said, that strangely stiff smile on her face once more.

"ELODIE, COME ON!"

"Sorry, Mama, I'm going to be late! Tell Baba I love him!" Elodie darted past her mother, drink in hand. Her room was on the first floor of the house, right next to her own personal bathroom and the entryway.

She would be getting breakfast with Brad anyway— just like she always did.

Fall had come to Massachusetts, with golden leaves— but it was warmer than it used to be. No longer were they quite as chilly as in years before. Elodie was relieved she chose a quarter-sleeve jacket, and was grateful for the coolness of the drink in her hands.

Brad was already sitting inside the car, his arm resting against the edge of the open window. His hair slicked back, he looked like a male model— it was no wonder the girls at Skycroft University liked him so much. Always a new girl, Elodie rarely got to ride in the shotgun seat in the morning.

But on October 17th, 2019, he was between girls, luckily for Elodie.

"Can't believe you struck out." Elodie shook her head in disbelief as she set her drink in the holder.

"What can I say, even guys like me need some time to find themselves."

Elodie rolled her eyes.

"Wait, did Mama make one of her special birthday surprise drinks for you?" Brad looked at the container. "Trust me, you don't want one. I got one for my seventeenth birthday, and it was nasty."

"Mama also wants me home early," Elodie added.

"Don't worry, I'll get there on time." Brad backed the car onto Maple Street. "But seriously, don't drink the smoothie. It's not worth it."