Ch 7 - Punishments Revealed

Start from the beginning

Suddenly she could bear the suspense no more, "H...how do you w..w..wwish to p-unish me, Your Grace," she stumbled over her words, dread clawing at her chest. "I b..b..believe there w..were three mmmisdemeanours, ff..ff.four nnnnow. Unless y..you c.c.c.count differently."

Her body shook violently again and she flinched as he knelt before her, taking her wringing hands in his. She kept her head down.

Hurt confusion resounded in his voice, "Rose, what on earth are you talking about? Why do you think I will punish you?"

Her breathing came jerkily, not comprehending his query. "I... I ssttut..stutterred," she panted. "I... disss..p.p.pleassed you."

He growled softly. "When have I given you any indication that I could ever punish you?" he stroked her cheek with the back of his fingers and, startled at both his words and actions, she committed the sin of looking directly into his eyes, something her parents would not allow at these moments.

His eyes gazed into hers, horror apparent at her admission. "I will not punish you," he said firmly and gently to her mute stare.

His beautiful blue eyes were filled with love and yet aflame with anger. It was strange to see two contrasting emotions sharing such a small space, but now she knew she was not the recipient of the anger there was no fear in seeing it.

"Rosie," he begged softly at her silent appraisal, "I could never hurt you. Surely you know that?" He looked deep into her eyes, searching for her understanding.

"B..b... but they t..told me you would," she said slowly. "M..m..mother said it was a husband's right and d..duty to discipline his wife. Just like Fffather does to her."

Barely-disguised disgust filled his eyes and he shook his head, "No, Rosie. I will not hurt you. I could never hurt you."

She felt disbelief, how could he not discipline her? He saw her expression and continued, "Rosie, the only way I would discipline you would be with my words, maybe forbid you from attending some events, but I cannot foresee that I would have the ability to be harsh in my speaking or hurt you excessively by forbidding something you treasure."

She shook her head dumbly, years of conditioning by her parents made it impossible to believe his promise.

He leant forward and kissed her chastely on the mouth. "I will never hurt you." He stated and as she drew her brow down in confusion he kissed her again. "I love you."

She leant imperceptibly towards him and his lips softly and repeatedly pressed against hers declaring his love over and over. Tears escaped the corners of her eyes and he kissed them away, "I love you Rosie, I will not hurt you."

She saw his earnestness and was finally able to believe his impassioned declarations. Relief caused her to fall against him, a sob bursting forth from deep within. He scooped her into his arms and took her to the bed. Laying her down and pulling off her fallen night-rail, he positioned himself beside her. His strong arms pulled her close and covered them both with the blankets.

She felt her shivering subside as he compressed her body against his.

"I love you Rosie," he kissed her hair, "I devotedly love you," he rubbed his face against her head, "I adore you, so much. I will not hurt you. I promise."

She let his words sink into her soul and desperately wrapped her top arm around his waist, needing to be closer to him.

A sigh of relief breathed in her ear. "Could you ever hurt me?" he asked, tilting her head back. He gently swiped away her tears. She shook her head vehemently and brought a smile to his lips. "I feel that way about you."