Ruby, red, ?

Her ruby red dress was the first thing that caught my attention.

His ruby red hair was the next.

What were they doing together? I wondered. Were they siblings? Friends? All I knew is that this boy held the little girls hand and they were laughing, walking down the sidewalk.

She couldn't have been older than nine.

He was at least my age, maybe older.

Have I introduced myself yet?
If not then hello. My name is Tyler Joseph. I just turned eighteen, actually.
And I had been watching these two rubies for a while now.

I didn't know their names, I didn't want to know their names. But the boy sure was cute.
The girl was too, but in a different way. It made my hand twitch whenever I thought of her.

I followed them into a little diner, keeping my distance as they sat down in a booth, moving to sit at the one across them.

They ordered a glass of apple juice and coffee.

As I ordered, I noticed the boy looking over to my booth. What did he want from me? Why are you looking at me? Did you know anything I didn't? My fingers shook a little as I counted down from ten, calming myself down before looking at him.

He looked away, instead talking to the little girl.

My hand twitched again at the thought of the girl. I asked myself why.

The boy looked again. What was his problem? Stop looking at me or else I'll-
The girl got up, walking over to me, seeing the boy try to stop her but it was too late.
What?

"Hello!"

I ignored her.

"My friend really likes you!"

I could only imagine that her friend was the red haired boy.
I turned to look at her, still staying silent.
Why didn't the boy do anything to stop her?

"He thinks you're cute!"

I looked over to the other booth. His face was just as red as his hair and her dress. My hand twitched again, curling my fingers around the glass filled with water.

"He wants your number?"

"What?"

I noticed how the diner was pretty much empty. How odd, I knew this place was usually packed with highschool kids, young adults and other random people I never bothered to observe. It was pretty odd indeed.

"He wants your number!"

Why didn't the boy do anything to stop her?

"Yeah.. sure. I guess."

"Really? Josh, I got you a date!"

Josh. Joshua? Whatever. It had a nice ring to it. Maybe I did want to know their names.

'Josh' walked over, grabbing the little girls hand. I grabbed his wrist, pulling his other hand to me.
He looked at me with wide eyes as I pulled a pen out of my pocket, writing my number on the palm of his hand.
How cliche.

"I- You could've.. Uh, you could've just asked me for my phone.. you know."

"But it's more fun this way, isn't it Josh?" I asked, chuckling.
What a cute boy indeed.

"Wh- How do.. do you know my name?"

"Your little friend called you." I nodded my head towards the little girl, gripping the sleeve of my hoodie tightly before taking a careful sip of my water and therefore ending the conversation.
I let go of his wrist, allowing them to go back to their booth.