Chapter 16: "Why don't you just get back together already?"

A/N: Enjoy this little filler before things start to heat up! ;)

*** Kaitlyn's POV ***

It's been a few weeks since Grady's art show, and we've drastically improved since our fight. I moved all my things back home, including Iris.

Rachel asked me if I wanted to go to an ultrasound with her since Gerald was in the studio working on new music. We got to see baby Rosie, who's measuring at almost six months now.

"How does it feel to be nearly done with your pregnancy?" I asked as we got back into the car. "Three months to go."

"It's wild," she laughed as she got into the driver's seat. "I changed my work schedule for when the baby comes. I'm going to be taking six weeks off, and then when I go back, I'm going to work Monday through Thursday from 5 a.m. to noon."

While she was talking, I was looking at her ultrasound pictures. The fact that she and Gerald were going to be parents in just a few months was still weird to me, but at least Gerald was stepping up.

"I'm proud that you're still going to work after Rosie comes," I said as her phone started ringing from her Bluetooth speaker. "Uh oh, baby daddy's calling."

She laughed as she pressed the accept button on the speaker and answered with a big smile on her face.

"Hi, Gerald!" She grinned as we pulled up to a stoplight. "We just left the doctor's office."

"How did it go!?" He asked with almost the same level of excitement as Rachel when she answered the phone. "Are you okay? Is Rosie okay?"

I shook my head at how overprotective he was being. It was cute in a weird way.

"We're both fine," Rachel said with a smile as she looked at me. "Rosie is measuring at six months, which means we only have about 12 weeks until her arrival."

"Whoa," Gerald said with a chuckle. "We still have a lot to talk about, like the living situation and all that stuff."

Rachel bit her lip as she pulled into Red Robin - our favorite restaurant. "All that stuff," also included the relationship that they were going to have when Rosie arrived.

"Yeah," she said as she shut off the car. "I'll let you go. Kaitlyn and I are going to eat and then do some more baby shopping."

"Okay, baby. I love you," he said into the phone. "I'll be home in a few hours."

"Okay, I love you, too," she said before hanging up the phone. "I think he's excited. He sounded pretty thrilled."

"You guys say 'I love you' even though you aren't together?" I questioned as we got out of the car. "Why don't you just get back together already? I mean, he's practically living at your apartment."

She came around the car and met me as we walked across the lot into the restaurant.

"Yeah, we say it," she muttered as we walked inside. "I'm sure we'll talk about it. I tried before, and Gerald said we were on such good terms right now that he doesn't want to mess it up, which is partially true. Every time we've been together, it hasn't always been the best relationship."

Rachel was wearing Gerald's Balenciaga hoodie that he had given her a few weeks ago, and because it was a bit big, it still hid her stomach quite well, which is why nobody had started any rumors.

After the waitress took us to our table, we ordered our food and gave her our menus back.

"So, when are you going to announce the baby?" I questioned as I sipped on my water. "I can't wait to see some fucking cute bump photos."

She laughed and brushed her fingers through her hair, looking at me with a smile.

"I think I want to wait until after she's born," She said as she put a hand on her bump. "You know, incase anything happens. And I don't know, it's nice to just have this between us for the time being."

"Are you going to tell your parents?" I asked, taking another sip. "Or do they already know?"

"They don't know," Rachel said as she looked up when the waitress brought our entree of pretzel bites to the table. "I'm thinking of telling them."

I popped one into my mouth and leaned back into the seat, chewing before I swallowed.

"What do you think they'll say?" I asked again, tilting my head to the side. "You think they'll be happy or upset?"

"Considering they both haven't talked to me in months since the divorce," she paused, putting a tater tot into her mouth. "I don't really care what they say. I mean, it might hurt if they get mad at me, but I'll get over it because they're the ones who decided not to talk to me anymore."

Trying to think of something happier to talk about, I opened up my mouth.

"I'm going to throw you a baby shower," I grinned. "I'll invite Gerald's crew, some of your friends at work and people we went to school with. You should have a baby shower. After your secret is out, of course."

Rachel grinned widely after eating another pretzel bite, looking over at me.

"Oh, Kaitlyn, that's so sweet!" She said as she grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "I'm sure we'll end up telling people before Rosie gets here. I just have to talk to Gerald and find out what he wants to do."

"Well, whatever you decide to do, I know it'll be the right decision for you, Gerald, and the baby," I said as I returned the squeeze. "You're going to be such a great mom."