the bubble man

The bubble man set up shop by the Arc du Carrousel, just across from the iconic Louvre pyramid

The bubble man set up shop by the Arc du Carrousel, just across from the iconic Louvre pyramid. The skies looked grey and gloomy and the wind had a chilly bite to it. Nevertheless, swarms of tourists crowded the Louvre courtyard and the Jardin du Carrousel.

He carried a gym bag and a half-full bucket, with two medium-sized poles sticking out of. He dropped his stuff on the sand and knelt to unzip his bag. His headphones, buzzing softly with his favourite music, served a twofold purpose today. Not only did they keep him mildly entertained, but they also protected his ears from the cold.

November was becoming more and more ruthless. At least it wasn't raining anymore. His gloved hands heaved a heap of rope from the bag, which he untangled and spread out on the sand in the shape of a circle. He brought his bucket to the middle of the ring, grabbed a pole with each hand and with one wide swoop, launched a myriad of rainbow-tainted soap bubbles in the air.

Some floated up into deserted tree branches, others crashed into the sand, each colourful flock pulling towards it at least one pair of eyeballs. Soon, the bubble man was surrounded.

Curious pedestrians looked on. They turned from the arch and the pyramids for a bit, fascinated by these bubbles breaching their environment. Children chased them. Eager tourists took advantage of these fleeting props to snap impressive selfies.

All eyes were on the bubbles, but none on the bubble man.

"Pardon."

The word came muffled through to his ears and he snapped from the trance the music had thrown him into. The train was slowing to a halt. Looking up, he saw reflected in the windows how the woman was trying to squeeze past him towards the doors.

"Sorry," he mumbled back and, passing his bucket to the hand which already held the gym bag, he grabbed the lever to open the doors for the lady. He stepped aside and she whispered merci as she skipped onto the platform.

"Where are you off to, with that bucket?"

He turned towards the question, pushing his headphones off one ear. "Excuse me?"