Chapter 31 - On the Way

It didn't take long for Rey and Ben to pack their gear and set off for the ship Rey had landed on the planet with when she went in search of Ben. The descent from the mountains was progressing quickly, as the weather played along and gave them no difficulty.

They didn't talk to each other a lot on the way down. Each of them could feel and read the thoughts and the tension of the other anyway. Rey felt the doubt in Ben, whether it was wise to go with her to the headquarter of the resistance. Ben could feel Rey's concern for her friends like a constant stab in his chest.

As they reached shallower ground, he silently took her hand and squeezed it gently, and immediately her thoughts became a little calmer and clearer. She looked at him gratefully and both accelerated their steps a bit more. Arriving at the ship, they stormed over the loading area into the interior, hurriedly stowed all brought equipment - Rey carefully placed the old Jedi books in one of the ship's storage compartments - and carried out a quick check of the systems.

"How long will it take us to the rebel base?" Ben asked. "Two to three hours at maximum speed" answered Rey while she checked the monitors for the start. "We should change and re-equip ourselves," Ben said, "who knows how much time we have left on the spot." She nodded affirmatively, "You're right, but first we'll bring this peace of garbage up in space and on the way, then we can switch the autopilot and prepare ourselves." "Agreed!"

As in a strange, uniform dance of absolutely synchronous movements, they ended the check-up, sat down on the two pilot seats and put on the straps. Rey realized that Ben hadn't even tried to claim the seat of the main pilot for himself. She looked over at him in the co-pilot's seat and found him grinning amusedly, "I don't think you would have allowed me to take your seat, so I didn't even try, but we can swap, if you want, my love."

She grinned back and then laughed out loud that he had already captured her thoughts on this. Then she looked at him defiantly: "Ready?" He smiled back: "Ready!" After this confirmation, Rey fired the engines and took the ship directly towards space. Within seconds they left the atmosphere of Chandrila and set off for the Resistance.

Once they left the planet's atmosphere, Rey entered the corresponding grid coordinates in the autopilot. "M-11?" Ben raised an eyebrow and thought for a moment: "Then our target is the Nubus system. Has resistance settled on Nubia?"

Rey nodded with a smile and added, "Very well combined! Nubia has every reason to support resistance, the first order has imposed far-reaching trade embargo on Nubia to suppress any contact with rebels, which has brought the mining and industrial industries to a complete standstill. Fortunately, the residents could alternatively focus on agriculture."

Ben nodded: "It's good to put the resistance right on the planet, if the ship and weapon production infrastructure already exists and is unused, but I'm also worried that the first order might have come up with that idea too."

"Yes, that could explain mine, or our vision ..." Rey frowned thoughtfully as she entered the final autopilot activation settings. Ben watched her for a moment, then reached for her to make physical contact. As soon as his fingers touched her chin, her emotions deepened in him.

She was done with her work and looked at him, so Ben could immediately feel her affection for him as well as her concern, which intensified with every second. He could have sat like this forever, his hand on her cheek, their eyes lost in each other, and those fantastic good emotions that were so new and intoxicating to him.

Rey, however, twisted her little mouth into a sweet smile, looked up at him and took his raised hand in hers. "Ben Solo, you should not look like this, we need to prepare for the arrival on Nubia, as you yourself said a few minutes before." He wrapped his fingers tighter around hers and replied: "You are absolutely right," He looked at her with taunting armor, "I am distracted too much from your presence .... I don't like that ..." his intense look at those words on her face and especially dropping her mouth, however, punished his words with lies.