"Doesn't it look amazing?" Celia smiled.

Luc glanced up at the tree and said flatly, "Yes it looks wonderful, now get down."

"Oh my God Luc, you are such a Scrooge! I swear at the party you are going to be the one wearing the 'bah-humbug' hat." Celia said.

"A-what hat?" Luc asked.

Celia ignored his question and replied excitedly, "Do you think Casper will like it?"

"I guess," Luc shrugged.

Celia began to lower herself down the ladder and said, "It's just that I know this is the first Christmas he has had home in a while, and I kind of wanted to make it really special. It will be the first time all you guys have been together since your parents...well you know." Celia's voice suddenly dropped off and she quickly changed topic.

"I am just so excited to meet Casper for the first time ... everyone tells me how nice he is," She said.

Luc grabbed Celia's waist the moment she was in reach and helped her safely to the ground and said, "Casper takes after my father's side of the family- he is all charm and good looks."

Celia frowned at Luc, "Are you telling me that you are not charming or good looking?"

"I certainly lack the charm." Luc replied gruffly.

Celia rolled her eyes at him and said, "One day you are going to make one young lady very happy."

"I don't know about that- after all a certain young lady likened my manner to 'Scrooge' only seconds ago." Luc replied.

"Well I am hoping that the three ghosts of Christmas are going to come and visit you tonight and by the morning you will be a reformed man." Celia smiled.

Luc couldn't help smiling back at her- in fact neither could I. There was something about Celia's persona which was infectious. She had a genuine warmth and vibrancy about her that made people want to laugh and smile. It was wonderful but at the same time terrible sad. Celia had been much loved and wanted and then Casper came snatched everything away from her.

The doors at the far end of the ball room swung open and a man dressed like a butlers came rushing, "Your highness," he panted, "The Prince has-"

Before the butler had finished his sentence two journey worn men stepped into the ballroom, carrying large hiking backpacks. I recognised one of the men immediately as Jacques from biker/back packer chic he liked to wear. However the other man was unfamiliar.

He appeared slightly younger than Jacques, and had ice blonde her and bright blue eyes that were hard not to notice. The young man saw Luc and let his back pack slide from his shoulder on to the ground, and then ran across the hall to pull an uptight Luc into a warm embrace.

"Here he is," The man laughed, "My brilliant big brother."

"Casper," Luc replied stiffly, with a slight begrudging hint of warmth.

Casper squeezed his eyes shut as he hugged his brother and said, "Damn it I have missed you, you old fossil!"

Celia, who had been standing quietly in the shade of the Christmas tree suddenly burst out laughing at Casper's remark.

A nerve in Luc's jaw twitched and he ground out, "Casper, I am barely a decade older than you."

Casper pulled back and said, "And it's that single decade that makes all the difference old boy."

It was just as Celia was trying to stifle her giggling that Casper noticed her. His blue eyes lit up and he walked towards her, offering her his hand in greeting. Celia suddenly straightened up in an attempt to regain her composure and elegantly took Casper's hand to shake it.

"It is so nice to finally meet you Prince Casper," She smiled.

"Please call me Casper," Casper said warmly, before abandoning the handshake and pulling Celia in for a hug.

Luc immediately frowned at his younger brother, "Casper, please release Celia- you are covered in eighteen months' worth of dirt and dust from riding around world on that ridiculous motorcycle of yours."

"Hey, don't hate the bike," Casper said releasing Celia.

"You have a bike?" Celia gasped excitedly.

Casper grinned at her, "Yeah, do you want to come with me for a ride?"

Luc straightened up and growled, "Idiot, Louis will kill you if you took Celia for a ride on that death trap."

Casper ignored his elder brother and still staring at Celia said, "It would be worth it just for the pleasure of Celia's company."

Casper offered his hand to Celia and she took it.

Coldness crept up my spine and I wanted to scream at Celia to run away from him but I knew it wouldn't make any difference. I knew deep down that what I was witnessing a flashback of something that had already happened and nothing I said or did would matter because this wasn't real; it was just a shadow of the past.