When Night Comes

Title: When Night Comes

Author: xohrats

Genre: Fantasy

PRESENTATION ✿✿✿✿❀

Your cover is very aesthetic. It looks more like a book of poems than a fantasy novel. That being said, it's a pretty cover. It's clean, if a little plain. I prefer it to a lot of the flashy and poorly composed fantasy covers on Wattpad that love to pop up in my recommendations and give me a seizure. 

Your author's note, though. 

You've made me immediately dislike your character even before the story begins, and I don't know why you would want to do that

You've made me immediately dislike your character even before the story begins, and I don't know why you would want to do that. You don't need to apologize or make excuses for your character. Let them stand on their own feet. If they have issues and need to be changed, then change them. With this, it feels like you're not only telling me how to feel about your character, but also saying "if you don't like her that's your problem, not on me". Which isn't a great way to start off a writer-reader relationship, you feel me?

I like your aesthetics, I like your map, I don't love your chapter banners but they're not bad. You're mostly starting off on the right foot.

HOOK ✿✿✿✿❀

I half like your blurb. The quote, I find over-the-top. It's one of those "I'm trying to establish my main character as totally ruthless and awesome" quotes that I definitely have never been guilty of.... But anyways, they're a dime a dozen on Wattpad books and Pinterest aesthetics. I'm sure there are a lot of people that will like it, but at the same time, that doesn't mean it's quality. 

I really like the rest of the blurb though. Short and sweet, but intriguing. I'm not yet sure what it means but I'm hoping you're going to follow through on those cool vague plot hints. I feel like I would have liked a slightly longer blurb somewhere, maybe in the introduction, just to give me a more concrete idea about what this book is about. But as a hook, this works for me.

And you have a prologue, which I have mixed feelings on, even though the last three books I started and am currently still working on very slowly all started with prologues. 

Hold on give me a second to re-examine my life.

Anyways, I think if you're going to have one you need to do it right and it should contribute to the story. This one definitely falls into that category. You start off with some lovely descriptions about wars and bloodshed and violence and all that good stuff. Then we have a king of autumn, which vindicates your lines about defying the seasons (I confess, I was worried it was just pretty words that had nothing to do with your story). I'm getting a fantasy mythology gods of seasons vibe from this, and I don't know if I'm right but I'm on board.