Chapter 20 - What you deserve is what you get Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"I know that you're there. You can come out." You spoke loudly, very audible for everyone around to hear. First, nothing happened and you didn't move one single muscle until a rustling noise from behind make your heart skip several beats.

"Well. Who have thought that? The coward knows that I'm after her. What gave me away?" It's just as Erwin told you. She's really after you. A mix of fear and satisfaction about this build up inside you, but there's no time to be reckless now. You turn around to her, taking a step to the side and crossing your arms before your chest.

"You're really asking me this? You're as loud as a bull in a china shop. Even a deaf cat would've known that you're after her. I just don't understand the reason why. Maybe you can enlighten me about this?" This question is the first step to lure out more information from her about her actions. Now you have to hope dearly that Petra will play along.

"Isn't that obvious? I want you to disappear from the scene. I want you to make space for me and Levi coming together again and according to your reaction when you left his apartment crying, it seems I achieved my first goal. Now all I have to do is to gather the fruits of my effort. Isn't that amazing?" she scoffed. So she knew all the time about what happened. This woman is really the craziest person you ever met. Not even Hanji was THAT mad and crazy. Your nervousness vanished soon and anger took over its place about her nasty words. But you mustn't lose your temper right now. You have to stay focused! This is for your own and Levi's future, and maybe all the other women Levi might have. This serves a greater ideal! And this thought gives you the strength you need to get through this.

"Huh. So you know but that means nothing. He's just having a bad day because you annoyed the crap out of him. I guess I don't have to explain to you how short his temper is for other people's bullshit but I came to realize that you didn't answer my question from before. What is your true intention with all of this shit? What are you trying to achieve with this stupid behavior? How old are you? Five? Come on! If you really are trying to get rid of me, you weren't acting very professional, although you're quite experienced in this kind of things, aren't you?" Maybe this was a little too offensive, but you don't have all night to talk like you want to invite her for a cup of tea. Petra walks a little up to you until she stands directly under the cone of light from the lantern above. Perfect! Now, please! Stay there!

"Impressive. Sounds like Erwin finally told you about me. Are you not scared? He also must've also told you what happened to all the other women who dared to stand in my way and here you are: facing me in this scenery, with no one else around to hear us. If I would do something to you right here, no one will notice." Petra grins evilly and dark circles appear under her eyes from the light from above. She looks just like your teacher Mr. Shadis in High School, professor for history and expert in cognitive recalibration or in other words: expert for slapping his studies into his student's heads with a heavy book.

"That may be true but that wouldn't have the same effect, right? You WANT an audience around you, so everyone will know not to mess with you, right? Was this the same intention you had when you went after Levi's last girlfriend? Or all his others? I mean, smearing threats with animal blood on their houses and doors, dead animals in the mail and terror calls? Or what was it that drove you to make that poor woman commit suicide?" You tried to keep your voice loud and understandable, but it became more difficult with each spoken word. The fear and nervousness inside you keep growing and your stomach complained very loudly.

"She was just like you at the beginning. Brave, unimpressed, and unreasonable but I figured pretty fast that this was just a mask. She was weak. She deserved it. Everyone who dares to stand between me and Levi deserves to be extinguished. And the fact that she was such a coward made it only easier for me to affect her. She was so easy to scare. She didn't even last 4 weeks before she spared all of us with her further existence but in the end, she chooses the way that's just made for her. The way of the weak. At least, all other women after her had enough guts to break up with Levi and carry on with their miserable lives. I wonder how long you will endure, hm? How long will it take to drive you insane? How long can you last until your mind will break? How long until you are nothing more but a sobbing and whimpering pile of crap? Tell me. I want to hear your guess."