5 | jeeps

while ethan and i walked to his car, i texted my mother, saying that i slept over at faith's and if she could drop off my book bag at school.

1 new message

mom
► your bag will be at the front office's desk. i hope you had a fun night, i love you sweetie!

elena
thank you! i love you too <3 ◄

i hopped into the doorless jeep and buckled up. ethan didn't speak, but i saw him looking over to make sure i was buckled up. i smiled to myself, remembering that ethan dolan was caring and cautious behind his dangerous and rugged exterior.

that short moment reminded me of 2nd grade. back then, everyone was friends, and no one noticed each other's differences. every recess, most of the class would play house.

everyone had a role: mom, dad, sister, dog, parrot, whatever. ethan and i were forced to be the mom and dad, and back then, that seemed like a hollywood-level role; however, back then we also heavily believed in cooties.

we played house daily, and after a few days, ethan and i were no longer scared of each other and our cooties. we would hold hands and hug, but one day we were on the slide. it was particularly hot out that day, and the slides would warm up.

ethan slid down first, and waited for me at the bottom. i slid down, but my dress got stuck to the slide, and my leg started heating up. 7 year old ethan was there to help me get off the slide, though i did lose some of my dress that day.

once he helped me off, he hugged me, then gave me a peck on the lips. i should've ran away screaming, but no one saw, so we just hugged again and kept playing.

"elena? elena!" a deep voice snapped me out of memory lane.

for a moment, i forgot that last night happened, and i forgot that i was riding to school with ethan dolan, 45 minutes late.

"we're here," he said plainly, "let's show these bitches what you're made of," he waited for me by the passenger side of the jeep, and waited for me to hop down.

we walked into the school, side by side, and he rubbed my back. he kept his eyes forward, focused on the entrance of the school, but i looked over, examining the profile of his face. i smiled.