"Are we really taking a selfie?" he huffs.

"Yup."

We take some serious ones, well, we attempt to, before we're laughing and trying to hit each other off our boards. I place my hand to his head and kiss him, taking the photo as I do.

"Here, hand it over," he says, prying the GoPro from my hands.

"Don't drop it," I warn. "You're not going to delete that are you?"

"No. Stand up on the board."

"Why?"

"Just do it."

I roll my eyes, before carefully standing.

"Man, you've got a good ass," he says before he begins to take photos.

I burst out laughing, covering my face. "I can't believe you just said that."

"Just stating a well-known fact," he grins. "Photos look cool."

I slide back down onto the board. I put the GoPro on the mount at the end of my board.

"Okay, let's go," I say, turning and paddling in a bit further.

While I wait for a wave, I tilt my head back and let myself enjoy the sun. Today has been perfect. More than I could have asked for.

A wave begins to form and I ready myself. I begin to paddle and then leap to my feet. Jake is doing the same. Being more confident than he is, I swerve dangerously close.

"Hey!" he yelps.

I lean over and shove him off the board.

"Motherfu–" he starts before the wave swallows him.

A loud laugh bursts from me as I finish surfing the wave right back in. I fall off my board in the end from laughing so hard. I paddle over to the board, wheezing, swallowing a mouthful of water.

"Get back out here you little prick!" Jake bellows.

A mother looks over at us with a frown on her face. I give her an apologetic look before paddling back out.

"Couldn't help myself," I chuckle when I reach him.

"You're gunna' pay for that."

"Yeah, if you can catch me," I scoff, before taking off.

We end up staying out in the water for three hours, which is the longest I've surfed in a while. I can't believe how carefree he is being. It's so refreshing.

We eventually retire back to the shore. I collapse onto my towel, my body feeling exhausted. I peel back my wetsuit to my waist and relish the sun kissing my skin. I cup my hands over my face and turn to look at Jake. He's lying on his stomach, too having folded his suit down.

Freckles are scattered across his shoulders, his skin a light brown. He looks much more of a surfer than me. Ellie and I never had many freckles.

"Proud of you," I whisper.

"Hmm?"

"For making an effort."

"Only for you, shithead."

"Charming," I say dryly, rolling onto my back.

We lay, soaking up the sun for about half an hour or so, before Jake announces he's hungry. We head back to his truck and load our boards into the back of it.

"I'm going to change," I say, grabbing an armful of my clothes.

Jake follows me into the shower cubicle casually.