Chapter 5: Things Took A Turn

The village was having a peaceful day. I decided to have a walk around and just patrol the area since the guards had been busy in some other parts of the village. I was near the farms where Aphmau had been growing what seemed to be strawberries when I saw a new face walking around the village. He seemed nice and harmless so I approached him. "Hello! You must be a new villager." I greeted with a smile.

He chuckled and shook his head. "I am a fisher from another village. I just came to this town to sell my stuff and I'm all out already." He informed and I nodded in understanding. "I'm Paul, and what might your name be, Young Lady?" He asked. "Y/N." I answered and his expression changed. "As in the Y/N? Like the dangerous assassin?" He questioned and backed away a bit. I mentally face palmed myself. "No no! I'm not that Y/N. I'm just a simple traveler who decided to settle here." I quickly made up a lie.

I could tell that he relaxed but he didn't take a step near me. He was cautious, and I couldn't blame him. "Ah, I see. Sorry about that, I've heard the dangerous stories about that cunning woman." He hissed and furrowed his eyebrows at the thought of me. I sighed a little and shook my head. "I've heard them. I'm sure she'll get what is coming to her." I said. That wasn't a lie. I'll pay for my sins in due time, but I just needed to get away from all of that before I made more of a mess. 

"Aye. She will. And her family will go down with her." He added with a smile. I nodded and gulped at that. 

'Does my family deserve it? Oh who am I kidding... They all do.'

I shook my head from those thoughts and decided to change the subject. "What village do you come from?" I asked him. "Meteli. It's just across this body of water." He answered. "Oh did you bring others with you then?" I asked. "You asked a lot of questions don't you?" He chuckled and I sheepishly scratched the back of my neck. "S-sorry. I tend to do that a lot." I apologized.

He laughed out loud and patted my back. He had subconsciously gotten closer to me which made me smile. "Ah that's alright, Kid. I used to be the same when I was a wee little one. Yes there is someone with me. The man who brought me here on his small boat. Vischer, he's at the dock if you'd want to meet him." He answered and I nodded. "Thank you, Sir Paul. I should be going now, have a nice day!" I waved at him then ran to the docks. 

There wasn't a dock a while before so I wanted to see it already. When he mentioned a dock, I knew he was talking about the one Brenden had been saying he'd make. Then there it was. The simple yet cute dock with Brenden right next to it and a man at the edge with his boat. Aphmau was talking to him with gold in her hands, she was probably trading. I walked towards Brenden and tapped his shoulder.

"Oh, hello Lady Y/N. See? I told you'd build it." He said with a cheerful tone. I giggled and nodded, looking at the dock which must have taken a lot of work to do. "Yes and it looks amazing. Well done, Sir Brenden." I patted his back and he scratched his neck bashfully. "Thank you. I'm happy it made Lord Aphmau happy too." 

I blinked a few times when he called Lady Aphmau a Lord. It's been obvious the others were considering her one but now that it's been out, everyone calls her that now. I wonder what she thinks about everyone placing her on that role. She does a great a job so far at least.

Then I remember what had been going on with the other Lords. If that happens to Aphmau, this village would for sure fall. So I decided on one thing. A small thought that has been in the back of my mind since I became closed friends with Garroth. Maybe I'll become a guard to protect the next Lord. With my skills, I'd be really good at it.

"You like her as the Lord?" I asked him. He looked at me then back at Aphmau who was walking away. She looked at us then waved at me with a  huge smile. She had armor on and I could hear the metal clink from all the way over here. I waved back while smiling back to her as well. "She's been doing a lot for our village. If anything she deserves to be the Lord." He answered. I glanced at him to see him admiring Aphmau from afar. Not a romantic way, but a looking up to her kind of way.