Chapter 4: New House

It's been a couple of days since I came here to Phoenix Drop. I'm considering taking Garroth's offer and staying here. Yet, I keep reminding myself how powerful my family is. I don't want to put these kind people in any risks. It's a hard decision to either listen to logic or emotion.

Through the short time I've been here I have made a couple of friends. They are all so different yet so kind.

Aphmau. She's sweet, funny, and so welcoming. The way she just acts in general makes me thing she can become a lord. It's not just me anymore, the people in town are talking about it too. It's great to know that she means good for the people here.

Emmelyn. Very book smart and so intelligent. She has such a kind soul but of course, she has a foul attitude to Aphmau. But her love for books is what draws me to her. I don't know why. Maybe it's because she remind me of my older sister a lot. I think it would be weird to tell her that, though.

Donna. She's new in town but a very kind woman. The first day I met her she offered me some jewelry. Like I said, she's a very kind woman to even strangers. Her cute accent also goes with her persona.

Zenix. He's a quiet one but he does his job. I've seen what he can really do and I can tell he has potential in being a great guard for Lady Aphmau in the nearby future.

Last but not least, Garroth. I think I have gotten closer to him than with anyone else. Honestly, he's such a kind-hearted person and will do anything for his village. I just wonder what's under that helmet he hides his identity in. I don't think it's still the right time to ask him if I would ever see his face.

So far I have made great friends here. I really shouldn't since that means it will be harder to leave. But, what if I don't leave? I could build my own little house in the town, become a kind of seller. Help the people here, get close with everyone.

Garroth says I should. He says that I make people happy and that he would really need help if anything ever happened. I don't know what he meant by that, though. He has Zenix and Aphmau if he's ever in trouble. Still I know that if I was ever in trouble he would be the first one I would call for.

My train of thought was interrupted when I heard rustling from the bushes. I was currently at the shore where I usually was but I was alone. My hand went into my hip to grab my dagger, but it wasn't there anymore.

Ah, that's right. I had put it away on the many things I kept from my... old job. It was a habit that needed to stop. The people here would wonder why I have so many weapons.

It was a small bunny. I felt my shoulders loosen a little and a breath of relief escaped my lips. Ever since I left my home, I've been on high alert. I'll never know if it's someone that will attack me for knowing who I am.

"Why so tense, M'Lady?" Someone next to me asked. I jumped and had my hands in fists ready to attack. It was just Garroth.

My muscles loosened up again as I heard a chuckle from Garroth. "It's just me." He said. I let out a dry laugh and look back to the water. The waves crashes a few feet from us as I shook off the sand that got in my shoes.

"You scared me, I thought you were someone who could have attacked me." My voice was hoarse from the absence of talking I've had since my arriving. I felt him get closer and he sat next to me. We stayed in silence for a while, it was comforting.

I held in a breath before finally declaring my decision. Once I said it, it would be final. That's what I made myself think.

"I'm gonna stay." I let out in one breath. I turned to him to see his helm facing me.

I heard a chuckle come out of him. "I'm glad you took my suggestion. I'm sure the people in the village will be happy to hear that. I know I am." He said. Excitement filled my body so I got on my knees and gave Garroth a hug. His muscles stiffened and the cold feeling of his helmet his my cheek, but I didn't really care.

"And it's because of you I've decided to stay. Thank you, Sir Garroth." I mumbled he wrapped an arm around me. "Your welcome."

Time Skip To Night Time

I saw a small clearing in the forest where I could build my house. It was a bit far from the village but if you walked a few minutes then you could see a girl with a tent and a fire place. That's where I had been staying for a couple of nights. Now it's time to settle in at a real house.

I like to think I am very productive in the night (considering I used to work at night for obvious reasons) so I began to build. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would but getting the materials and supplies for it was time consuming. Luckily Aphmau had lent me a bed to use so I could sleep more comfortably. Garroth also gave me the area where I could make it. He insisted I made it more closer but it's smart to be away so if my family does come looking for me it'll give me time to escape.

By the time dawn broke I had already built the walls and a roof for the first room. I set my bed and a few torches in there so I would continue the build later. For now it was small but soon I'd make it to where it was a decent house.

My arms felt sore from how much I had to swing and place, my legs were screaming for me to lay down. I heard footsteps behind me before I could go in through my new door. My attention went straight to the noise as I saw Garroth walking to me. His helmet moved up and down to the small building behind me.

"Before you say anything, I barely started so it's mediocre looking." I pointed it while crossing my arms. "I was just gonna say if you needed any help with this." He chuckled out. I shook my head, "No, but thank you for your offer." "Are you sure? It must be hard to do it alone." He asked again. 

My head shook again, my arms unfolded so I could grab the axe next to my hip. It was heavy but it was easier to grab when it was right next to me. "But if you really want to help me, mind telling me about the destroyed house away from the village?" I asked. His helmet shifted to looking at the tree next to the house. "It would be best if you didn't know. But things will be changing again. Along with you, me, and the villagers." He replied.

'Way to be a riddler.' I thought while rolling my eyes. "No matter, I just wanted to know since Aphmau said a sack of coal hit her over the head when she went to that house." I said. He nodded and began to walk away while waving. I waved back then walked inside to set everything down. 

It felt like my body led me to the bed as I plonked down and took the best nap I have had in a couple of days. 

My thoughts slowly drifted me to sleep as it got darker, finally feeling at peace, I went to sleep. Hopefully I would be lucky enough to wake up in the next dawn, I really need sleep.

-End-