Chapter 16

POV: Tori

The low sound of the radio was the only noise that filled the otherwise silent car journey up to my house. Just like before, it wasn't an awkward silence that had settled itself between Jade and I, but more of an understanding, 'this isn't the time to talk' type of stillness, which was surprisingly relaxing, given the amount of questions buzzing around my head, in desperate need of an answer.

I'd tried to keep my attention focused on the scenery drifting past the window as we got stuck in some slow moving traffic, watching the slowly darkening sky that threatened rain, which was never a good sign in my book. But my eyes kept pulling themselves toward Jade as if magnetized to the short-tempered, raven-haired woman beside me, who was busy grinding her teeth at every car that went by. I had a feeling that if I wasn't beside her right now, she'd be yelling in a way that would make Trina's road rage look tame in comparison. This was a contrast to the last car journey we took together where she had been pretty calm, even when my sister had been following us, but something told me it wasn't out of the ordinary for Jade to get easily peeved at the fellow drivers surrounding her.

We pulled into my driveway with a squeak of the breaks and I moved slowly to unbuckle my seatbelt; out of the corner of my eye I could see Jade fiddling with the strap of her own, yet her gaze remained firmly ahead of her.

"Come inside? We have coffee!" I suggested, hoping to ease some of the tension I could practically feel radiating from the girl now we'd stopped. "Think of it as a thanks for the lift home."

Jade made a noise that suggested a 'sure', her hand slipping down the fabric she was clutching to the plastic buckle, which she clicked undone with a push of her thumb.

Again, the short walk up to my house was soundless and soggy from the drizzle in the air, laced with the weight of anxiety brought on by Jade's tense stance. She reached the door first and flung it open, startling Trina, who was collapsed on one of the sofas, her cell phone glued to her ear as she arranged an appointment with the dentist for yet another teeth whitening. She sprang up from where she was slouched, her mouth agape as Jade walked swiftly past her, straight to the kitchen, flicking the switch on the kettle and helping herself to mugs and coffee.

I closed the door behind us and turned to find Trina giving me a look torn between confusion and annoyance, but the person on the other end of the phone must've started talking again because she spoke to them instead. I rolled my eyes as I strolled by to help Jade with the drinks.

Two boiling cups of coffee later: one black, two sugars, one sweetened with plenty of milk, Jade and I ended up going up to my room to get away from my sister who was now arguing with the poor woman on the other end of the line.

"How do you put up with that?" Jade asked, closing my door, yet it failed to drown out the squawk of 'What do you mean you're fully booked!'

"It's not out of choice." I replied, flopping down to sit on my bed whereas Jade remained by the door, leaning against the frame and clutching her coffee in both hands as she took small sips of the dark liquid then smirked at my statement. I was glad to see she seemed much more relaxed now than when we came in. It must be the coffee.

"You know, we could always go through with that plan we came up with." She quipped, lifting her eyebrows suggestively. "I've got rope in the back of my car-"

"I don't think it'll be a good idea to murder my sister, no matter how tempting it is sometimes." I said, cutting her off "And why do you have rope in the back of your car?"

"No reason." Jade said casually, taking another sip of coffee before sauntering over to my desk chair and scooting it closer to me once she was seated.