Chapter 8: Fresh Start

"And that's how you use hot glue to up-cycle used underpants into a cute purse." Diane help up a pair of purple underpants.

Tyler opened the door and walked in.

"Now, I took these boxers out of my husband's undies drawer, but I made sure
they were clean..."

"Get yourself kicked out?" Sasha asked.

"No. They won't. And your dad won't let me quit."

"I can drop a cinder block on your knee." Sasha grinned.

"Or I can just do the program."

"If you wanna make the wussbag move, that's on you."

"One second... Okay... And... We're done! Well, just... be sure to close up the pee-pee hole or you'll lose all your change!" Diane nervously laughed.

"So cute." Diane commented, slinging the "purse" over her shoulder.

✧✧✧✧✧

"Hey, watch it!"

"My bad!" Dylan shouted.

Tyler moved the trash can before Dylan could crash her bike into it.

"Thanks."

"No problem. Don't wanna waste time picking up trash. Gotta make up for yesterday. Only a week before that big lifeguardy testy thingy." Tyler started.

"That's unexpected. Appreciated, just expected." Dylan unclipped her helmet strap.

"Good job, Ty. You're finally going in the right direction." Ellie patted Tyler's shoulder.

"Only for you."

Ellie slapped his shoulder.

"Don't ruin it."

"Um, what do you say we start with a three-mile run?" Dylan asked.

"Three-mile run?" Tyler complained.

Ellie rolled her eyes.

"Tyler!" The rest of the team complained.

"Three miles! Let's do it!"

✧✧✧✧✧

A week later, the Flounders were found eating lunch at their table.

"I propose a toast. I'm really proud of you guys. We're really coming together as a team. We had a rocky first few days, but I think you're ready for the Crucible on Friday." Dylan said.

"What's the Crucible?" Tyler asked, mid-sandwich.

"Are you serious?" Ellie asked, picking at her lunch.

"It's the test we're training for, the one we need to pass to be Junior Rescue?" Ellie looked at Tyler.

"Plus, the winning pod gets to work Tower one for the rest of the summer. It's the best tower on the beach. Prime location, in the middle of everything. It's even got a stereo and a private bathroom." Dylan informed.

"And there's this monster riptide right in front of it, so people almost die there, every day. How great is that?" Lizzie smiled sadistically and leaned in.

"How could you not know any of this? You said you fall asleep with your manual on your chest!" Eric exclaimed

"You fall asleep with your manual on your chest, Tyler?" Ellie laughed.

"Hey! Not reading it. I like the weight, it's comforting."

Ellie rolled her eyes.

"You are such a dork, Ty."