Chapter 6: I'm an Abnormal Slytherin

The next morning at breakfast Professor Lockhart blew me off, saying he was busy. I have better things to do, anyway, I thought to myself. Though I wondered why I felt so miffed about it.

On that same day, Professor Snape told me that my lessons with him would be on Saturdays for about five hours learning other spells.

"It will be more difficult this year," he explained. "Though most students don't start this until their fourth year, I believe you're ready. You will also write essays outside of our sessions."

I nodded with interest, "What sort of spells will I learn this year?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm never going to learn anything with Professor Lockhart." I said with a deep frown.

"He told me that for the first test he gave you, that you and Miss Figsund got full marks. Was it that easy?"

"It was a test all about him!" I said, sitting down at a desk in front of him. "The only reason I passed it is because mom warned me he would do that. I mean, really? What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color? What is Gilderoy Lockhart's ideal birthday gift? Stuff like that is what I expect to know about a close friend — not him."

Professor Snape gave a scoff.

"Professor Dumbledore has not hired a competent teacher for the job." I said.

"No one else would take the job. Everyone believes it is cursed. Idiots." Professor Snape said angrily.

I laughed, recalling how badly he wanted the position.

"I will teach you second year spells, then."

"Yes, please." I said vigorously, just managing to get a small smile from Professor Snape.

"You are dismissed, Miss Riddle. Come here Saturday at noon."

"Yes, sir!" I said jokingly, hurrying out of the room and making my way to the library.

In the library, there was Hermione at a table reading Voyages with Vampires. I rolled my eyes, hoping for a miracle that she wasn't as interested in Professor Lockhart as Becky, before making my way over to her and sitting across the table.

She glanced up and then closed the book. "Hey."

"Hi... enjoying that book?"

"Oh, yes! This is my third time reading it."

Ughh, I thought, I'm surrounded by lovestruck young girls. However, I only chuckled softly, "One of my Slytherin friends did, too. And let me guess, you really like Professor Lockhart as well?"

She nodded. "He's so amazing! For class, we took the test and I got full marks! Then he took out a cage of pixies and set them loose. Harry, Ron and I got to put them all back into the cage as hands-on experience."

"So that's what he didn't get to do with us..." I said, thinking about what a havoc that would've been. "Did he actually say it was hands-on experience or did he go hide in his office?"

She wouldn't answer, so I supposed he went to hide in his office. Obviously.

"My friend, Becky, and I got full marks on his test, too." I said.

"Really?!"

I nodded, feeling slight amusement. Hermione and Becky really fancied Professor Lockhart. "Right. The only students who actually pay attention to the important details in the books by reading them."