Chapter 9

Kuan hid his smile with perfectly practised restraint, Vior looking utterly devastated at being found out, perhaps even more so that he had dishonoured himself in front of him.

"Will you tell my father?" Kinna asked Kuan meekly, holding back her tears with surprising resolve, for if he were to do so, then Vior would most certainly be executed promptly and Kinna's reputation would be destroyed.

Kuan raised a hand to his chin in a mock contemplation before snorting with laughter, the look of utter dejection upon their faces too much for him to bear the sustained teasing.

"I shall not, but in return, you both must do something for me," he told them, standing beside Kinna and taking her hand gently.

The poor girl looked terrified, and although Vior was in his blind spot, he was sure the young lord was seething with anger.

He leant in close to Kinna and whispered in her ear "call me Kuan, my lady."

Kinna looked startled and Vior took a step towards him in anger.

"What did you say to her? I swear I shall not stand for any slight against her, prince Liu" Vior burst out, his hand reaching for a katana that thankfully wasn't there.

"Forgive my teasing, lord Vior. I merely wished for the lady Kinna to call me Kuan from now on" he replied, raising his hands to calm Vior down.

"But why would you wish such a thing, prince... I mean, lord Kuan?" Kinna asked, gently touching his arm and intuitively putting herself between him and Vior.

"Because, lady Kinna. I have renounced my name and inheritance" he stated plainly and with purpose, for any weakness in his resolve here may make it seem as if he teased them.

"But why?" Vior asked, his choler having fallen and a look of puzzlement replaced it.

"My king father thought nothing of me, and the first time I have ever felt respect in my life was when you and the others embraced me, as one of your own. A warrior of note" he replied before bowing to him. "For that, you will always have my deepest gratitude and respect."

Vior moved until he stood before him, raising him back up and shaking his head.

"You need not bow your head to me, lord Kuan. For you are a man I respect above all others after this day" Vior told him, clasping a hand upon his shoulder.

"Then, I must ask you a further favour, lord Vior" Liu said expectantly, for though he had not expected to find Vior and Kinna in such a situation. This night had proved to be one of divine destiny thus far.

"Ask it, lord Kuan. For if such a thing is within my power, I will see it done" Vior replied seriously, his face seeming somehow older and more serious than he had thought possible.

"I would have you call me brother, that we become sworn with a bond stronger than blood," Kuan said, for Vior was a man he knew he could fight for, that would fight for him.

Their combined tenacity and resilience could conquer any foe that stood against them, for there would be many in their futures.

"Such a thing, Kuan. Would be my greatest honour" Vior told him, taking out his tanto and slicing his left palm carefully.

Kuan took the blade from him when offered and did the same, slicing his own palm. The two of them then gripped hands, clashing their forearms.

"Under the Moon and stars, by God's grace, we do swear eternal brotherhood this night. Such that only death can break and no man can" they said together, Kinna watching them with her hands clasped tightly to her chest.

"I know not why, my lords. But this makes me happy" Kinna said with an air of giddy excitement.

"Perhaps you would have us both as husbands now?" Kuan teased, enjoying Kinna's embarrassed reaction.

"Lord Kuan, please do not jest about such uncouth behaviour" she stammered, her red face as pretty as a goddess against the moonlight.

Vior clapped a hand on his shoulder, shaking him gently.

"Let us be away from here, brother. I believe there is much for us to discuss this night. It would also not do us well to be caught out here like this" he said jovially.

"Indeed, it would not" Kuan agreed. "Then I bid you a good night, lady Kinna. Until tomorrow."

"And you, lord Kuan. Lord Vior also" Kinna replied with a bow, leaving them both as she made her way back to her private rooms.

"So, you love her my brother?" Kuan asked as they walked back towards the competitors' rooms.

"I do, brother. I always have, for this love has sustained me throughout my many years of hardship" Vior replied in a serious tone. "How about you, brother? why do you fight?"

Kuan thought about the question with all seriousness. Before this day he had fought only to gain the approval of his father. But now that he no longer did so, why should he toil so hard?

"Before today I fought out of fear, fear that I might lose. Perhaps that I may be disgraced in others eyes, but now I feel like I have a purpose in my life" he postulated, thinking long about why he should not just drop out of the tournament.

"No," he said suddenly. "Not that I now have a purpose, that I have found what it always was. I have a brother whom I would risk all for, that is perhaps what I have always desired."

"And I would do the same for you, brother" Vior said with reassurance as he slid open the door to his room.

"Will you still feel that way if I take Kinna from you?" Kuan chuckled as Vior bid him enter.

"We shall see, brother. Our bond lasts only until death remember?" he said with a smile.

Kuan clapped him on the shoulder playfully as they sat down to discuss their future plans.