5

Okinawa, a Japanese island in the East China Sea, was the site of an 82-day battle in World War II, during which at least 100,000 people lost their lives (some accounts put the number as high as 200,000). When Americans invaded the island, civilians hid in caves, including Chibichiri, terrified from years of propaganda teaching them American soldiers would rape, torture, and murder any Japanese civilians they found. When Americans arrived at the mouth of they cave, they threw in pamphlets, in Japanese, detailing ways in which Americans would treat them well.No one believed them. An 18-year-old girl shouted "Mommy, kill me! Don't let them rape me!" Her mother obliged,setting off a wave of parents killing children, or people killing themselves. In the end, 83 people died in the cave.  The bones of children can still be found in Chibichiri. For a while, the site was open to the public, though now only the entrance is accessible. Locals protested tourists trudging about gawking at the bones of their relatives. In other caves on the island, Japanese soldiers killed themselves, a preferable alternative to being captured. Chibichiri was included on CNN's "10 Scariest Places in Asia," and Okinawa is considered one of the most haunted islands in the world.