Chapter 5 - The Drive (Edited Version)

Anna’s POV

After our brief conversation about musical tastes we had both settled back into our normal silent state, it was, however, a more comfortable silence, still slightly awkward. I can’t help but be proud of our short-lived conversation as I could tell we would eventually find some sort of new conversation starter. She had politely asked me whether it was ok for her to listen to music and I was quick to respond affirmatively. Once she had music in her ears you could tell that she had been transported to another place and time and that much contemplation and thought would be happening in this other reality.

It was a silent ride after that, she was quick to fall asleep a few minutes after our conversation has ceased to exist. To be honest, I was slightly thankful for this occurrence as it made things a world less tense and awkward. My GPS signalized that we’d arrive at out final destination. The silence and absurd loudness of her earphones allowed me to listen to the humming of the song she was listening to, and I hear one of my favorite songs, Stitches by Shawn Mendes start playing. I smile softly bouncing around in my seat, humming alone the tune that played all so quietly, this went on for a verse or two, that was when my body was stricken with fear as she jumped up in surprise and ripped her head phones off in what seemed like despair. What on ear? This was the second time something actually freaky had happened and I was starting to question whether the issues that seemed to be skin deep where actually tumors growing rapidly, killing her off slowly.

With my eye still on the road, I lift my hand and place it on her shoulder expressing my concern before I breathlessly ask her. “You good?” To which she rapidly, almost too quickly, answers. “Yeah, I’m fine, great, yeah…” Her voice emotionless and rushed as she desperately tried to convince me of her ‘fineness’ of sorts. Lucky for her I didn’t have anymore time for questions as we had just arrived at the entrance of the set. With both hands back on the steering wheel I turn the car into the short dirt road that would lead us to the main area and in silence we remained. God I hope it won’t be this awkward forever.

Alex’s POV (A few hours ago)

Never could I have guessed how truly mortifying it has been to be stuck in this car with the one and only, Anna Kendrick. We both had this extremely awkward vibe that seemed to thicken the air till it was basically impossible to breathe. I must admit it was slightly amusing watching her struggle to start conversation, I was almost flattered by her desperate need to have a connection with me, as it was almost as it she were actually interested on what I had to say. We did end up talking about music, having nice conversation was actually quite refreshing as it isn’t exactly common for this type of social occurance to happen in my life, it did however, only last us a few minutes of decently vibed conversation as the sonorous silence once again filled the air.

Just as I felt as though I were about to explode I decided I couldn’t stand it anymore and pulled out my earphones after quietly asking her whether she was ok with it. Clearly I’d do it no matter what her answer, but I really was trying to create a decent impression. I quickly browse through my spotify playlist, an account that I shared with my one and only friend, one that she payed for most of the time, before picking one of my old playlist at random. Eventually the soft music lulled me into light sleep

I was presenting a song, something I haven’t done in a long time. My hands expertly strum my guitar as my voice soars through the great hall ahead of me. Faces of strangers face me, their facial muscles contracting in such a way that expressed their appreciation of my voice and music. The melody and lyrics I sing are unknown to me, but my attitude was so confident and bold that is felt as though I must have practiced at least a million times. I felt amazing. I felt like me. My eyes drift to faces that were all too familiar, faces that I miss, faces that haunt me, faces.

Face.

Suddenly my voice cracks, and boos echo, his lips curve as the others disappear, it is just him and I. Alone. The frame I love, face so familiar, but the man I fear. I start to spiral as anxiety crawls around me, panic stricken I can’t even move. So I awake.

The light that blinds come as a promise of hope and safety. It was just a dream. A crazy one might I add. I then panic as I don’t recognise my surroundings. I’m in a car, I know that but, who’s car? That’s when I realized that I’m in a car with Anna who gives me a confused and concerned glance. Fuck, she’s gonna ask questions, questions I either don’t wanna answer or don’t have the answer to. I mentally facepalm at the weird impression Anna must have of me now. A gentle, small hand touches me shoulder, immediately and mysteriously calming me. Her voice follows. “You good?” Her question so simple and informal, but so hard to answer and so anxiety inducing. I decided to answer as quickly as I could in order to try and keep suspicions from arising. “Yeah, I’m fine, great, yeah…” Wow, really did sound convincing there, didn’t I?

I was thankfully ‘saved by the bell’ as they say, as a gate passed us, signifying that we had either arrived ,or where close, to our final destination. This made me excited. I couldn’t wait to get out of this stuffy car with awkward vibes and breathe a breath of fresh air, especially now that we’re in a rural area. I watch out the window as we pass through a small field, beautifully green, especially after the heavy rain this morning, through a small slit of the window the fresh smell of wet grass entered the car, instantly elevating my spirits. We then pass a clearing where several trailers are parked, one after the other, a slightly flutter churns my stomach as remember I’ll soon be meeting more people who I’ve admired my whole life, even better, I’ll work side by side with them. Ahead of us was a huge hangar, that looked somewhat mobile or quickly constructed by the production company. It was in front of that building that we parked. I quickly left the car, Leaving my stuff to be collected later. Anna started to move towards the entrance so I just silently follow her. This is it. This is my chance.

Anna’s POV

Even a fool could notice how nervous she was, and as much as I wanted to try and help her out I knew all my efforts would go to waste, therefore, I simply decide to just follow along the path and enter the hangar where most of the smaller sets where located. As soon as I enter the building I hear a loud mix of voices coming from the seating room where we got coffee and hung in between takes and sets, I therefore decided that it would probably be beneficial to go there so that I could see everyone, but more importantly, so they all could meet Alex. Looking over my shoulder I find Alex, shifting between her two feet, fidgeting with a ring on her right hand.

“Come on. We gotta meet up with the bella’s, Britt did say that they’d be in between takes right about now so I'm guessing you’ll get to meet all of theme now.” I say just as I twist the fragile door knob revealing my friends, all sitting on top of each other on the small couch. I smirk at their antics before taking a short breath already smiling at my sarcastic comment to come. “You know there are other couches here you guys!” They all stop their conversation and glance our way before letting out a large collective scream, which leads Alex and I to cover out precious ears. Alex seems almost alarmed by the amount of noise the Bellas are capable of producing. I roll my eyes at their excitement as they all run our way and start hugging me.

Once they all settle down I clear my throat before speaking. "Guys, this is Alex and she will be playing the newest addition to the Bellas." This causes for their glances to shift to the woman beside me who just nods, letting out a soft girn. Everyone smiles at her as she takes off her sunglasses. Eventually they all hug her in a welcoming fashion, I can tell that makes her a little uncomfortable and that makes me watch them very amusedly. I finally decide to take the girl out of her misery by saying. “Come on Alex, I’ll show you to the trailers.” I have to hold back a chuckle as her eyes meet mine, a thankful look so dramatic that it was humorous, I decide to be bold and wink in response, something about my motions makes her smile softly, a smile similar to the one that she graces in the car a few times. I’ll be mother fucking damned, cause that goddamn smile could kill me.

A/N - Hope you enjoyed it, I've been trying to get on a regular uploading schedual but, only the future knows what cards it hold kkkk. Have a great week.
Goodbye Lovelies...