Blood Drool

To play music so loud my ears bled.

That was probably my one aspiration in life, but unfortunately, they didn't give an option above maximum volume. Still, I tried time and time again to turn it up—to sound out the pitter-patter of raindrops as I danced my way into the kitchen. The grief therapist I was forced to see called it an act of 'stimming,' but I just felt like life was better on high res. And high res only ever happened when music was involved.

Music just made things better...like the mud I tracked into the house. It was no longer a daunting task to grab a rag and clean it up. Nor was it annoying to toss that rag into the kitchen sink. My sister called me lazy and said I didn't clean, but the truth was – I did, I just didn't do it her way. And anything that wasn't done her way wasn't efficient enough.

It was around midnight. And the house only had a few lights left on, but that was cool because—unlike my half-blind sister—I didn't need much to see by. I walked to the fridge, opened it up, and flinched a little at the contrast of the bright light that came on. A half-rotten pear, spoiled milk, and a tiny container. It had some paper sticky-taped to it which said, 'Dinner,' and then on the back, 'Don't leave shit in the sink!'

My eyebrows came together as I looked around. Slowly, I removed one headphone from my ear. Blair wasn't around. And with the dimmed lighting around the house, I figured she must've been asleep. How the fuck did she know?

I, personally, didn't think there was anything wrong with putting a dirty rag in the sink. I mean, that's where everything dirty went to be cleaned, right? But my sister would probably have a damn aneurysm over it. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the rag, looking around at where I was supposed to place it before I walked over to the bin. I stomped on the metal latch, making it spring open, and then I saw the note taped on the other side of the can and exhaled. It read, 'And put a damn bag in the bin!'

I rolled my eyes and tossed the wet rag into the unbagged bin.

"Oops," I said, closing the lid. It needed to be cleaned out anyway.