9 | I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth

Start from the beginning

"Oh, we shall," Maya said pushing the two brothers out of the way and entering the house. She seated herself and awaited the others.

The tables were then set and the talking began.

"It's better to indulge him," Elijah pointed out.

"I didn't come here to eat, Klaus. In fact, I didn't want to come here at all. But I was told I had to cause you would hear us out," Stefan said ignoring Elijah's comment.

"Well, we can sit and eat or I can reach down your throats and pull out your insides. The choice is yours."

Everyone then began eating and drinking with the exception of Stefan and Maya. Maya couldn't bring herself to eat and Stefan was just being petty. Although, no one seemed to notice Maya wasn't eating because she pushed the food around the plate.

"You lost your appetite?" Klaus said to Stefan.

"Eat," Damon told Stefan as though he were a child, "I thought we agreed that we would leave the grumpy Stefan at home."

"That's the spirit. Isn't it nice? Five of us dining together? Such a treat. Is this what you had in mind when you pulled the dagger from my brother?"

"Well, I know how he felt about you, so I figured the more, the merrier," Damon said adding a playful wink directed to Elijah.

"Well, Elijah and I have had our share of quarrels over the century. But we always make it through."

"Kind of like you and Rebekah, right? Where is she, by the way? Last I checked she was still daggered because you were afraid to face her."

"If you're referring to the fact that Rebekah knows I killed our mother, I've already come clean to Elijah."

"Hey, Stef, remember when you killed dad? Might want to dial down the judgment until dessert."

"We're here to make a deal, Damon. Doesn't mean we need to kiss his ass for seven courses."

"Enough," Maya said sternly growing tired of their bickering.

"I'm just saying we have a long evening ahead of us. Pace yourself," Damon said before continuing to eat.

As the dinner went on, Elijah finally asked the question three out of the five were dreading, "Stefan. Where is the lovely Elena tonight?"

"I don't know. Ask Damon," Stefan remarked causing Klaus to laugh.

"I'm sorry, you've missed so much. Ah, trouble in paradise."

"One more word about Elena and this dinner's over."

"Let's just not talk about her, you guys are old, I'm sure you can think of something to talk about," Maya said before sitting back in her chair.

"Someone's in a mood," Klaus began but she glared at him, resulting in him putting his hands up in mock surrender, "But you're probably right."

"Yeah," Damon agreed.

"It's just the allure of the Petrova doppelgänger, still so strong. What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia?" Klaus said opening a door that he would soon regret opening.

"Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?" Elijah said before placing his cup down.

"Well, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originator of the Petrova line."

"Well, we're not going anywhere Elijah. Please, do tell," Damon said as he took a sip of wine.

"When our family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia. She was an exquisite beauty. Every boy of age desired to be her suitor, even though she'd had a child by another man. And none loved her more than Niklaus."

This seemed to peak Maya's interests. She then looked at Klaus raising an eyebrow before he said, "I'd say there was one who loved her at least as much."

"Wait a minute. So you both loved the same girl?" Stefan asked.

"Our mother was a very powerful witch. She sought to end our feud over Tatia and so she took her. Klaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine on the night where our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires. Tatia wouldn't make a decision between the two of us, so for a time Niklaus and I...grew estranged. Harsh words were traded, we even came to blows, didn't we, brother?" Elijah explained.

"But in the end we realized the sacred bond of family."

"Family above all," Elijah raised his glass and Klaus copied the action.

"Family above all," Klaus agreed and clicked his glass with his brother's.

After a few minutes, Damon tapped Maya's leg and showed her a text from Bonnie under the table that read, "Getting closer. Need more time. Send Maya."

She nodded discretely before looking at everyone at the table. She came up with the quickest excuse she could think of before standing, "I should get going, Caroline's dad is going through something and she needs me."

"I'll see you out," Klaus said before following her out.

"I see you're wearing the bracelet," Klaus said looking at her wrist where the bracelet he had gifted her with laid.

"I didn't want it to go to waste," Maya quickly excused as they approached her car.

She turned to him, ready to say a quick goodbye and leave but he stopped her.

"What is tonight really about?"

"I don't know. Damon asked me to come so that you guys didn't kill each other. I really have to go now, I'm sorry," she said as she hopped in the car and drove off leaving Klaus standing alone in the street.

Maya made it the Lockwood Cellar relatively fast but found something she wasn't expecting. Bonnie and Abby were knocked out and the coffin was open. She turned around ready to call Damon but she stopped. She saw an outline of a person and they stepped forward, revealing themself.

"You..." Maya said with a slight gasp before everything went black.