SIXTEENTH CHAPTER

What did one say to someone they hadn't spoken to in eight years? Juanita had no idea where to begin. The fact that he was staring at her as if she was a ghost, wasn't making her feel very comfortable either.

As if Ezekiel sensed her uneasiness, he squeezed his eyes for a moment; then he leaned forward. "Where have you been all this time, Nita?"

"Around. I've gotten close with the rebels."

"But – why?"

She sighed. She knew that their mother's death had hit him hard, back in the day. How would he be able to handle the knowledge that their father, the only remaining pillar in his life, had hit her? Not with an open hand either, but with his fist. He would never be able to look at their father the same way – especially not if he knew all of the other horrible things he had done. She knew that he wouldn't be able to cope with that loss. "I'm not ready to talk about it. Let's just leave it at some things happened while you were locked up... things I couldn't handle and because of them I needed to get away for a while. In the end it was easier not to come back at all."

Ezekiel massaged his temples. "I get why you didn't feel the need to talk to me, but what about Angel? You always were able to go to him when something was bothering you. You two were like two peas in a pod."

The jealousy in his voice didn't escape her attention. She had never realized that he had felt like he was the outcast of the family. "Things changed after mom's death. After you were sent to jail. Things weren't the same between Angel and me – we were all buried with our own grief." She took a deep breath and decided it was time to shift the focus back to him. "Enough about me. What kind of deal did you make with Law Enforcement?"

"I would never..."

"Really? You really gonna try and lie to me? Well, then were done talkin'." She shoved back her chair.

"As if you really told me anything," Ezekiel huffed, looking her right in the eye.

Okay, he had a point. "I'm not the one who's makin' deals with the devil."

He squeezed his eyes. "I'm not."

"C'mon Zeke, you never liked the Mayans. You despised that cut your brother wore for as long as he's had it – and now you're wearin' one too? Why? You enjoy it so much in jail that you wanna go back? You've always been smart so I know you knew about all the illegal shit they d."

"It's not like I have lots of other possibilities," he answered grumpy. "A criminal record like mine doesn't exactly help you to get a job."

"So is that it? A criminal record that will be erased when you tell 'em what they wanna hear?" She chewed on her lip, trying to connect the dots. It was no secret that the Mayans frequently broke the law, but why would they parole someone for information like that? There had to more... "Ah." The pieces of the puzzle suddenly fit together. She lowered her volume. "They want something bigger don't they. They wanna know about the cartel."

The way his eyes widened, told her enough. Still his jaw tensed. "I have no idea what you're talking about. You shouldn't talk about that kinda shit, you wanna get me killed?" He hissed the last words.

"Think you're already heading down that road yourself," she snorted. "You have to tell Ang."

"I have to tell Angel something?" he snapped. "Speak for yourself! I have my shit in order, you are the one who left her family without a word. Without a reason. We thought that you were dead niña. We mourned for you. Whatever happened that you thought you had to leave – I will never understand. Not after everything that happened with mom. She was already taken from us, without a goodbye and you think you can just disappear?! You broke us."

Tears gathered in his eyes and she grit her teeth. She didn't want to see his tears. The last thing she needed, was her brother laying down even more guilt.

"We're done talking."

She stood up and headed for the door.

Ezekiel didn't even try to stop her.

As soon as she shut the door behind her, she understood why.

"Fucking rat," she grumbled as she saw the three bikes in front of the bar. The two men she had no urge to deal with were leaning against them. Cruz – and Angel.

And Angel's face told her he wouldn't be letting her go anywhere, not for the next few hours. Days. Or maybe even weeks. Her eyes shot from left to right, trying to come up with a plan, evaluating her terrain. She doubted she could get past them, and even if she did, she wouldn't put it past Cruz to shoot her down. Not to kill her, but just to stop her.

Instead of making an effort to flee, she didn't move at all and focused her gaze on her brother. Somehow she hoped to scare him away – but of course he was still able to resist her deadly glare. As if coming to a decision he moved, with large steps he moved towards her.