FOURTEENTH CHAPTER

Angel assumed that the bodies must have been burnt with some sort of chemical, the fumes had gone straight to his head. It was the only logical explanation, because he knew he couldn't trust his eyes the moment they saw his little sister in the crowd.

It wasn't the first time he thought he'd seen her in town – he had caught glimpses of her many times over the past handful of years. This time however something was different – she no longer looked like the sixteen year old girl that filled his memories. This face was rounder, stripped of every trace of innocence. Still he was certain it was her – whether this version was real or a figment of his imagination he was still trying to figure out.

For once he thought that she might actually be real – but the hope diminished as he saw one of his brothers standing next to her, an arm wrapped around her waist. Coco didn't know her, they had never met. Seeing them together didn't make any sense.

Suddenly the woman looked up from the bodies. Their eyes locked. He saw her eyes widen. Holy Fuck. It was her. For a few breathless seconds they just stared at each other, then she turned around and began working herself through the crowd as quickly as possible. Coco's eyes found his; the guilt was clear, making Angel's anger rise.

Motherfucker.

Angel's head might have felt messed up, but he knew that for once, it was really Juanita who he had seen. Pushing people away, he tried to make his way to the other side of the crowd.

"Hey, we're you goin'?"

A hand clenched around his upper arm, and a moment later he was staring at his bewildered younger brother's face.

"I saw her," he said, his voice raspy with emotion. Maybe it wasn't wise to share with EZ before he was hundred percent sure it was her, but deep down he knew he wasn't going to be wrong this time. No matter how crazy it sounded, it was her.

"Who? What do you mean?"

"Juanita. She was with Coco."

His brother stared dumbfounded on him. "You sure? I mean... we just saw some pretty messed up shit... you sure those bodies over there aren't messin' with your head?"

"I've seen bodies before," he huffed. "Nah man. I'm damn sure I saw her. Trust me. You go that way, I'll go this," he said, gesturing around.

"Yeah... okay," EZ muttered, showing clear doubts.

Angel pushed him in the right direction, hoping that his brother's photographic memory would be of use. One glimpse would should be enough to recognize her. Walking away from his brother he started his own search, but the process was complicated not only by the darkness but by the panicking crowd that was still rushing through the town.

After searching the area near the plaza two times his eye caught Coco, who also seemed to be looking around, a grim expression on his face. Angel rushed towards him, grabbing his arm. "The hell was that?!"

"I didn't know man, I swear! She only told me she was your sister just before shit went down with those bodies. I tried to call you man. Check it."

Angel held his glance, he knew Coco would never lie to him. "What did she want from you?"

Coco gritted his teeth, anger radiating from his face. "She was that chick man. The girl from the rebel camp, the girl that fuckin' shot me. I feel so fuckin' stupid man, I should have known somethin' was up when she kept our meets so brief." Shaking his head, he raked a hand through his hair. "But I didn't know man, I swear.'

Angel squeezed his eyes. "Did you fuck her?" he hissed. "Did you fuck my little sister?"

When his glance met Coco's he was met with shame. "Just once."

While he appreciated his brother's honesty, it didn't eliminate the anger he was feeling. His best friend had fucked his sister. His sister that was missing – the sister he thought was dead. The fact that he hadn't known, didn't change that.

Grabbing the collar of Coco's cut, he lashed out, his fist hitting the man's jaw. Coco didn't try to fight back, he took the punch without blinking an eye.

"We can sort this later man. She tore herself away from me and fuckin' took off, I lost sight of her. Doubt she's comin' back man, she's a runner when things get heated."

Angel lowered his arm, hating the fact that his friend seemed to know her better than he did. He didn't have the slightest clue as to why she would want to run from him – but it was clear she did.

And she had been for years.