T H I R T Y-N I N E

Start from the beginning

"And outside?"

"There was a sighting of three in the first village. I scattered the guards to find the lingering ones. The only commotion now is the shock of what happened."

"So...it's clear?"

"Yes, bu-"

Before the vampire could finish what he was saying, Iris was dashing down the stairs.

Kai slotted the dagger in a pocket in his pants before running after the prince.

Blood stained the concrete path leading to the front door of the mansion. With the right strategy and tactics, only one vampire could do unimaginable damage. There were a total of eight, and as Iris rushed to their first village, he slowed down every time a bloodied or deceased body came into his view. It was...no words could describe the pain he felt that surrounded the premises of the corpses. And he wasn't even in the first village.

He was gazing at a little girl sobbing when arms wrapped around his body without notification. He flinched and looked ahead, his mouth pressing against a shoulder.

"Thank God you're okay! I was so worried something was going to happen to you."

Iris sighed and hugged his dad back. "I'm glad you're okay, too."

They were doused in pure relief knowing the other was safe and sound. Iris backed away first, but smiled when his dad hugged him tighter before doing to same.

"And your mother is fine as well."

Iris widened his eyes at her mention. He had totally forgot about her in the midst of the chaos.

"Great."

Arlo chuckled at his lack of interest and patted his shoulder. He smiled when Iris perked up.

"Oh, where's Allison? Did you see her?" Iris searched around the grouping civilians, some familiar faces popping out here and there, but not one he wished to see. Then, he felt Arlo squeeze his shoulder.

"I'm glad you're okay." He repeated, and Iris immediately darted his eyes over to him.

"Dad-"

"Sir, it's still not a hundred percent safe to be out here."

Iris and Arlo glanced at Kai as he informed the King while walking up to them. He looked at Iris, just for a second, before nodding at the King.

Arlo skipped his gaze from Kai to Iris, then smiled lightly and the vampire.

"Kai, have you met my son yet? This is Iris."

The prince looked down, his heart not even skipping a beat despite knowing the vampire was staring directly at him.

"We met," He said quietly, "he saved me from an attack."

When Arlo shot his gaze over to Kai, he quickly put his hands up with a nervous smile.

"It was nothing. I was just doing my job."

"Your job.." Arlo hummed thoughtfully. He narrowed his eyes at Kai before smiling brightly at him. "Thank you, Kai."

The guard nodded at him, then they all walked inside the mansion. The atmosphere was torn and shivering. Arlo ordered away the guards that were walking with them, thanking them first, but made Kai stay.

The reason they all agreed on was that the rogue vampires were planning this scheme for quite a while now. With the borders open freely to let Vridora's guests go, and with the clustered streets, it was a perfect time to attack undetected. Except the amount of people actually there must have triggered one of the rogues, causing them to lash out instead of sticking to the plan of assassination. Or that's the information they got out of forcing it out of one of the eight rogues they killed and captured.