Chapter 5

Aki kept smiling cheerfully as if nothing had happened. I really don't get airheads like her. I played soccer with some of the guys for a while and then I got tired and sat on my towel, just appreciating the view of the ocean mixed with the sound of screaming teenagers.

Shortly after, Rina Sensei sat beside me casually as if I wouldn't know that she's going to be bothering me soon enough.

"Haa~" she sighed. And it's begun... "Don't you just love the beach breeze?"

I rolled my eyes and went along with her small-talk, "Sure do." I said, trying not to sound sarcastic.

Rina kept on making small-talk and talking on and on about her personal life. I was about to make some excuse to leave but then I noticed Aki. She was looking straight at the two of us, with an envious look in her eyes. I sat back down and chuckled, joining Rina's conversation.

I talked while making cheerful expressions, occasionally looking back at Aki. I was having too much fun, her jealous face is really amusing.

Soon, everyone was calling us to play volleyball. I continuously refused to play, but as I did, everyone pulled me up from my towel and forced me onto the court they had drawn on the sand. Aki was also playing. She was on the opposing team. As the game was about to start, our eyes met and I winked at her, causing her to blush.

The game started as Hiro served the ball underhand, barely crossing the net. Aki was distracted and wasn't able to catch the ball. Her team members laughed and yelled out, "Don't mind!"

Soon, her mind was back onto the game and I've got to admit, she's not quite as bad as I would have guessed... she's even worst. Every time the ball went to her, it would fly behind her or barely bounce off her arms. Once, she even bumped the ball onto her face. I was about to have a laugh attack, but as a teacher I had to control myself.

I spiked the ball several times onto the other team's side, giving my team several points. Every time I did, Aki would look at me with a glowing gaze, smiling in amazement as if I were a god on Earth.

I spiked over and over again until Rina created a rule that allowed only students to spike. I soon grew tired of playing and I lazily passed the ball to the other players in my team.

One of the popular-wannabe guys from my team started trying to imitate my spikes several times. He hit the ball over and over again, missing the net or slamming the ball into our own players. He spiked once again, the ball finally passed the net and landed straight onto the distracted Aki's face.

The boy celebrated the point he gained, completely ignoring Aki who had landed onto the floor with a volleyball between her eyes.

I rapidly crossed to the other side of the net to where everyone else was gathered.

"Aki, are you okay?" I asked, worried.

"Sensei..." she rubbed her crying face and nodded weakly.

I then picked her up and carried her onto my towel and placed her under Rina's parasol. Everyone else watched us and soon carried on with the game. I sat beside her on the sand.

"Sensei, I'm sorry." Aki's weak voice said.

I turned my head towards her, "Why?"

"Because of me you had to stop playing." she sat up.

I chuckled and faced the sea. "I'm actually thankful for that. That game was getting too boring." I looked back at her and smiled.

Aki looked surprised and blushed. She then hugged her knees and looked at the sea. Her eyes sparkled with the water's glow.

"So beautiful..." I said, making eye contact with Aki and smiling at her. She blushed and looked confused, probably wondering whether I was talking about her. "The sea, it's really beautiful." I smiled.

Aki looked disappointed and then smiled as well, "Yeah."

Silence filled between us once again until Aki broke it, "Sensei, do you like being a teacher?" she asked.

I laughed at her question, "Is it that obvious that I don't?" I said half jokingly.

Aki looked at me surprised. "I'm kidding. It wasn't my first choice for a job, but I don't mind it."

"What was your dream job then?" she looked interested.

"Fine. I'll tell you. Just don't go off and tell everyone else about it."

She nodded and smiled, "Is it that bad?"

I nodded, "I wanted to be a drummer for a band."

Aki's surprised face quickly formed a smile and she started laughing. I smiled at the sound of her cute laugh.

"Then how come you're a teacher? Why don't go pursue your dream?" she asked once she had calmed down from laughing.

"I guess I just figured that I had to grow up." I smiled faintly, not telling her the whole story. I then tried to cheer up the mood, "Besides, if I weren't a teacher I wouldn't have met you, right?" I smiled provocatively.

Aki blushed furiously and I laughed. I then patted her head, "Are you feeling better now?"

"Yeah!" she smiled brightly. "Thank you for telling me your secret Sensei."

I smiled back and she went back to her friends once the volleyball game was over. Soon, we all returned to the bus and half of the students, including Aki, fell asleep on the way back to school.