Part One. Chapter Five. David

"Happy Birthday!" My mum pulled party poppers and decorated me with coloured paper as I walked through the kitchen door. Bacon pancakes, my favourite, sat steaming away on the table waiting for me.

"Thanks mum," I replied, sheepishly.

"Now lets hope you will be able to find your mate soon, just like Eddie!" She cooed and poured me a glass of fresh juice as I sat before my breakfast.

"Yeah.." no pressure or anything.

Eddie found his mate over the winter holidays, shopping for Yule. They both happened to have decided to visit the big city and join in with the maniac human crowds as they looked around for that 'perfect gift'. Instead, they found each other. Let's just say that no one got any presents off of Ed last Yule. Anyway, he had moved in with his mate Callie into a packhouse apartment and he had spent the last four months with his head in the clouds and beaming brighter than torch with fresh Duracell batteries.

So mum seemed more determined than ever to find Antony and I our happiness. Well, Antony was suffering most as she'd had to wait for my birthday. I guess I had about a weeks leeway from now, because she'd leave me alone until it was clear my mate was or wasn't in the pack and then I suspected Antony and I would end up having to visit relatives in other packs. Joy. Wait... maybe not. Marcus and Jenny were holding a bonding ceremony at the end of the week, so guests from other packs would be arriving then.

I lingered a bit over the pancakes, I wasn't quite sure if I was even ready to go out and seek my true mate. While my feelings for Tamara had faded a bit, didn't mean I was ready to place another girl by my side. Well, if what I'd heard about the whole mate thing was true, I wouldn't be able to resist that girl's call to me anyway. Something like her scent would just lure me and I would just want to be with her no matter what? Guess it's just one of those things you have to experience to understand.

Screw it, I decided to forget worrying about it and just hit the gym. Marcus was there when I arrived and he was sulking. "Hey," I greeted him as I sat on the rowing machine. We had limited equipment in the gym, like no running machines as there was a whole wood to run in and no giant bouncy balls, that sort of thing should not be around a wolf. Mostly it was weights, a couple of exercise bikes and this rowing machine.

Marcus was lounging on the bench meant for weight lifting. "Hey," he replied. "Oh happy birthday."

"Thanks," I replied and began to work up a sweat on the machine. Five minutes in, Marcus hadn't left the room, hadn't picked up a weight, had barely moved. So I gave into my curiosity. "Alright, what's up?"

"Nothing," he replied.

"Last minute nerves?" Stupid question, the deed itself had obviously been done, the ceremony was an unnecessary formality that Alpha-in-waitings usually go through so future Luna's can be introduced to other packs and formally to their own.

"Hmm, no," Marcus waved his hand dismissively, but refused to elaborate. I picked up my water bottle and drank a mouthful before shrugging my shoulders and resuming my exercise.

I lasted another five minutes. "Don't you have stuff to do?" I growled. "A ceremony to plan, studying for finals, an Alex to go pester?"

His face fell flatter. "Alex is applied to a medical university that's like six hours drive from here," he pouted.

"So," I replied. "You always knew he wanted to become a doctor. He mentioned it tons of times."

"But there are other universities," he moaned. "Closer ones. Why does he have to go there?"

Of course I knew, but it wasn't like it was my story to share. I'd notice Alex making excuses when Marcus invited him for guy nights and he kept needing to head for the library or took on extra shifts at his work place. He was distancing himself from us or rather from Marcus. I didn't blame him. I would have done the same. But dealing with a moping Marcus was fucking annoying. "I don't know," I scowled. "Probably for whatever program they offer. Let him go, he's human, not a wolf. He was never planning on moving in with the pack. He kind of needs to be around other humans. And one day, he'll probably marry one and make a merry little home for himself."