The Reception

Music played softly as the guests made their way to congratulate Susan and Caspian. Susan grinned as she was pulled into numerous hugs from her family as well as old friends such as the beavers, and had her hand shook by those who may not have known her personally but were excited that the Gentle Queen had wed. Some of the Narnians in attendance had lived well after both Susan and Caspian were out of Narnia, as the wedding was open to all who wished to attend, yet they still held enthusiasm at the idea of seeing a figure that was legendary. 

Susan's face broke into a wide grin as the next two guests approached, and she couldn't help but throw her arms around their necks. "Mum, Dad!"

"Oh my sweet girl, you look so beautiful!" Her mother hugged her tightly, happy tears running down her face. 

"Congratulations, Su." Her usually stoic father grinned widely. "Now, can you let us go so we speak to the man who won your heart?"

Susan released her parents from her embrace and turned to Caspian. "Caspian, I would like you to meet my parents."

Caspian shook her father's hand. "It is an honor to meet you both. All of your children have told me many stories of the land from which you come, and of you as well."

Susan's mother gave him a bright smile, pulling him into a hug as if she had known him all her life. "Edmund and Lucy have told us all about you this past week, Caspian. The honor is ours at meeting someone who so fully loves our little girl."

"We will speak to you more through the night, but it appears we are holding up the line. Besides, I need to see my eldest and find out why he has not come to visit us..." Susan's father looked for Peter, and upon spotting him, the Pevensie parents made their way to him. 

Susan laughed lightly. "Peter is about to get an earful..."

Caspian chuckled. "I wish we could watch that go down."

They continued to greet guests until the line ended. Once that was done, the dancing began. 

Susan smiled as Caspian led her in their first dance as a married couple, blending different traditional dances together. This was not the first dance they had ever shared, as they had danced at Caspian's coronation, but now they could dance more freely, not having to follow as many protocols and customs as they did as unwed teenagers. 

However, her mind soon drifted to the events at the wedding. Caspian had said his ex-wife was a sweet and kind woman. Why would she have interrupted their wedding? Did she feel forgotten or set aside, and thus chose to have one more moment in the spotlight by interrupting the wedding? But hadn't Caspian said she was the one who wanted to call things off in the first place, as she knew his heart would never belong to her? 

"Is something wrong, dear wife?" Caspian asked quietly as he spun her and pulled her in close. 

"I'm just thinking." Susan replied, following the next step of the dance which led them to separate, face each other,  and put their hands together as they moved. 

Caspian gave her a knowing look. "It's about the earlier interruption, isn't it?"

Susan nodded, the two of them switching hands as they switched directions when the music cued them to. She knew their conversation was quiet enough that while those around them could see them speaking, no one could hear the words. "My only question is to why she would do that? From what you said about her..." Susan trailed off, not wanting to dwell any further on the fact her wedding day was almost ruined. 

"I am unsure myself." Caspian seemed to be able to tell she wished to speak on it no longer, for he let them fall back into a peaceful lull as they finished their dance, Caspian dipping her as the music ended.