The Humbling Process: Making Amends

Stepmother Vivian POV

When I woke up this morning my first thoughts were of my daughters. I wanted to know how they were. I got dressed and walked out the door making my way into the village.

Minerva lived not too far from me and I am sure Calliope is there with her. My girls have been inseparable their entire lives. I pressed the doorbell and waited for someone to answer. A minute later the door opened revealing Eric.

"Hello Vivian, how are you this morning?" He greeted stepping aside so I can enter.

"I'm doing well Eric, how about you?" I asked smiling.

"Great actually. What brings you by?" He queried.

"I would like to speak with Minerva. Is she home?" I inquired.

"Yeah she is, let me go get her for you. Please make yourself at home." He said going down the hallway.

I took a seat on the couch and waited for them to return. A few minutes later they emerged and Minerva looked slightly annoyed with my presence. Oh dear this might not go well.

"You wanted to speak with me, mother?" She asked sitting across from me.

"Yes darling, how have you been?" I inquired.

"I have been great and you?" She queried politely.

"It has been an interesting few weeks for me. I had to face a lot of emotions from my past. Which is why I am here, you deserve to know the truth." I answered.

"Okay I am listening." She responds.

"When I was a young girl my mama used to be extremely abusive. She would beat me every chance she got. The only person who could save me was my daddy and he did every single time. In fact he died trying to protect me. Shortly thereafter I met your father and he was exactly like my daddy. He promised to get me away from her and he kept his word. We got married and moved into our own home in a matter of months. I loved your father so much and I knew that the happiness I had finally felt was mine forever.

A year after we got married you were born and then Calliope the following year. When he passed away suddenly my world collapsed. I had two young daughters and barely any income. When I found out that your father had left us $6 million in his will I had already become engaged to Richard." I said sighing.

"Cinderella's father right?" Minerva queried.

"Yes, your stepfather. I initially loved Cinderella you know and even now I still do. It just angered me that I had been widowed twice and left with 3 children. I was still young and I was afraid that what my mother said about me would be true. She told me I could never be a great mother because I didn't deserve love." I said sniffing.

"What are you talking about you are a great mother. We never wanted for anything growing up, even attention." She responds.

"I know but its because of my mother's actions I repeated the cycle of abuse towards Cinderella. I just couldn't stomach seeing Eric's face every time I looked at her. You didn't know this but every single night I would cry myself to sleep knowing I was hurting him by neglecting his daughter." I replied in tears.

"Mother, I forgive you." She said hugging me.

"Yeah me too." Calliope agreed coming into the living room.

"Hey sweetheart, I didn't know you were there." I respond hugging her.

"I came in 20 minutes ago when you started explaining everything." She replied.

"Oh okay. Well I guess the easy part is over. I just have to face the king and queen. Oh dear." I said sighing.

"Good luck, you are going to need it." They respond as I leave.