I lift the phone to my ear cautiously. Who would call Austin’s house looking for me? How did they even know I'm here when even I didn't know I was here just ten minutes ago?

"Angela White speaking." I answer cautiously as if expecting some murderer on the other line confessing he knows where I am and I have what he wants.

I mentally scold my foolish thoughts. I could never deny being a writer with the way my mind works. That thought brings a smile to my lips for a second before I hear the familiar voice shout at me on the other line.

"Angela! What the hell are you doing at Austin’s? I want you home right now! How do you think it makes us look you little slut." James spits out.

My anger rises and I turn to see Nikki escorting Jay out of the room but Austin stays seated with me in the room. Good, I might need someone to hold me back from committing a homicide. James doesn't blow up on me ever unless he's got four walls surrounding me and a lock on the door of the room I'm trapped in.

I pause for a second debating to act casual as if he hasn't just pretty much asked Lucifer to come and end his miserable excuse of a life. I almost do it but something in me says to hell with it. It's only Austin and I can't make myself care about tarnishing James perfect reputation in front of Austin.

"I don't know who you think you are talking to you prick but may I remind you I am not your possession to boss around." I angrily reply forcing myself to keep calm.

"Listen to me sweet Angela," James answer satirically, "if you're even the slightest bit interested in still being engaged you better be at home within the hour and be fucking happy about it." 

I hold in a scream of frustration that begs me to unfurl. He knows I can't not be with him. My fantasies mean nothing in the end because I will always end up right where everyone wants me. Life’s just a game and no matter how tired I am of just being a playing piece I'll still continue to be one.

At the note of my silent response or lack of response James practically smirks into the phone as he says, "That’s what I thought."

I abruptly end the call not being able to handle James' bull so early in the morning while hangover. It's just like him to ruin everything good in my life. Come to think of it he's almost as bad as mother. I let out a short frustrated sarcastic laugh.

I turn to see Austin looking at me but I can't will myself to meet his eyes, my favorite eyes. Not when I have to go 'home' to an evil pair of blue eyes who will continue to haunt me because I'll never escape.

Yes I could just say screw it all and ended it but to leave James is to leave the only good thing in my life, my power and influence in the business world. We truly are the perfect power couple, a tormented antagonizing couple.

"James wishes to see me at the Jackson residence now therefore I will be taking my leave." I tell him my voice as professional as I can manage.

After years together with a man who doesn't love you you'd think his words would stop affecting you and they do, partially. It's the delusion of happy ever after that always trips me up. I let myself fantasize about grey eyes and strong arms only to be reminded that I don't get any of that. I get cold blue eyes that will never shine with a tenth of the adoration I look into Austin's with. My eyes water at the thought but I push the tears back.

Nikki comes out from the room where she took Jay and walks over to me. She doesn't place a hand of comfort on me or tries to say anything and for that I am thankful. I need her tough for me right now and she knows it.

"I'll meet you in the car." Nikki states walking out without another look.

I turn to follow after her when Austin's voice rings out softly.