Chapter 23

A/N: Obligatory apology for abandoning this fic for almost 9 months. But I'll keep it brief since I know you guys don't like my notes and announcements and endless apologizing, as several of you kind commenters have pointed out. Just know I'm in a weird spot since infinity War and Endgame came out, and Far From Home is about to come out, kinda breaks the open interpretation of these characters, so from now on I'm considering this a full blown AU. :) (Also if you're a Gravity Falls fan check out my new GF fanfic, You're Gonna Carry That Weight! Maybe even if you aren't into Gravity Falls now, you'll want to check it out after reading the fic.)

Peter had been in his room all day, he tried to tell himself that it was because he had important upgrades to his suit he needed to work on. He didn't want to admit it was actually because he wanted to avoid Tonys' surveillance. As long as he was living in Avengers tower, he wasn't safe from prying eyes. Every time he left the room he felt like there were eyes or cameras burning into him. 

He was probably paranoid, but hearing his mentor voice suspicion of him had really rattled Peter deeply in a way that he couldn't shake from his chest. He kept his head down whenever he left the tower. He couldn't imagine what Tony must have thought he was doing, drugs probably, whatever Tony thought, Peter was sure Spiderman was the last thing on his mind. 

Peter was debating whether he should just come clean to the team, and save Tony the horrors his mind had concocted. Not that Spiderman was the best possibility. He decided to wait it out until something gave. He continued picking up shipments and managing the R & E departments as Peppers underling.  

He was on his way to grab some blueprints from a subsidiary warehouse, he was to unlock the backdoor using the key Tony had provided, go to a backroom office, and grab the blueprints from the bottom drawer, the entire ride, he repeated the instructions he had been given until he had them memorized by rote. It was empty, he was the only one there, besides the driver, there was no reason for everything to not go off smoothly.

He opened the door to the warehouse. The motion lights in the hall sprung on and the entire hall system lit up. It was then he heard a sudden noise in an upstairs room in the rafters. The lights had obviously startled something or someone. He touched the web shooters strapped to his wrists, making sure they were still there. He had been taking them off a lot more after the incident with Tony as a precaution. But it was a field job today so he figured he was safe from being found out. He slipped his mask on, which he kept tucked in the seam of his jeans.

He assumed maybe it was a raccoon or some other vermin, but decided to check it out anyways, just in case. He slowly made his way over to the stairs, climbing them to the next floor. He turned to walk to the end of the hall, he didn't hear anything, so he turned around and was met with a gun in his face, and a guy at the end of the gun

"Spiderman? You ain't supposed to be here, nobody is supposed to be here."

"Exactly what I was gonna say, my guy." He responded. 

He grabbed the gun and pointed it toward the ceiling, the guy swung and came into contact with Peter's face, he pulled the guy closer to him with his web. He threw a blow and the guy stumbled back, sliding down the wall. Two more men came out of an office, he assumed were the guys' colleagues. One of them was conveniently holding the specific blueprints he needed in their hand. He shot one web and he stole the blueprints back. He then leapt over the pair of idiots, smashing their heads together and they both went falling to the ground. 

He caught his breath and stuffed his mask down his pants. He rubbed his face with his hands and realized his eyebrow was bleeding. The blood slowly began filling his eye. He groaned and thought a moment, he got an idea. A minute later he burst out the backdoor of the warehouse, waving his arms and screaming and trying to get the attention of the driver.

"Help-these-guys-are-in-there-and-Spiderman-came-and-fought-them-and-one-of-them-hit-me-and-I-managed-to-grab-the-blueprints-but-I-think-they're-still-in-there-fighting-call-the-police!" He managed to sputter a slew of nonsensical babble. The driver jumped out of the car and helped Peter into the backseat, calling the Police and Tony, in that order. 

A few hours later, Tony was at the police station chewing a few cops out who wouldn't let him in to see the guys in person. His reasoning was that he wanted to kick their asses a second time.  Peter had gotten his eye checked out and the go-ahead to leave. He sat in the car, beside Tony.

"So let me get this straight, you got your ass handed to you by some thugs, and you still managed to get the blueprint, that's some commitment."

"Thank you."

"Don't get me wrong, you were stupid for not immediately bolting. But you're okay."

"I mean, only because Spiderman saved my ass."

"You aren't wrong." Tony said, then he cracked a smile. He wrapped his arms around the teenager and gave him a hug. Peter paused a moment and returned the hug. 

They got home and Peter got up to his room. He couldn't believe he was able to trick everyone into believing his lie. But now he had dug his grave even deeper.