{2} Rick Grimes

[Ash]

I wake up to the sound of something tapping my window. "No... No more..." I mumble, thinking its a tree branch hitting my bedroom window, and turning to look.

I open my eyes to see a man looking through the window of a car I am currently in.

I scream and back away

I scream and back away. I climb to the passenger seat, still staring at the man who holds a gun to my face through the window.

I remember the past couple of months. The biters roaming the streets. No more civilization. No more rules for anything.

"Go away! Leave me alone!" I scream at the man.

He lowers the gun and opens the car door. I freak out and quickly open this door. I fall out on my back and quickly back up.

He walks around the car with his hands up. "It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm a cop." He says as he slowly puts his gun on the ground.

I just notice his sheriff hat and badge, along with his outfit. I shake my head. "There are no more cops. No one to get rid of the bad guys anymore because they become bad guys themselves. How can I trust you are any different?" I ask him with a small glare.

"I promise I'm not the bad guy. My name is Rick Grimes. I just woke up from a coma. I'm on my way to Atlanta. To find my wife and son." Rick explains.

I stand up and look at him. He doesn't look like he's lying. "What are their names?" I ask him.

He gives me a confused look. "Lori, and my son is Carl." He says.

"Lori and Carl. I'll remember the names. If I run into them, I'll tell them you are looking for them. Okay? Now, I have to go. I slept in late." I say as I make my way back to the car.

I shut the passenger side and walk to the drivers side. I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder. I shut the door and turn back to Rick.

"Watch out for the biters. I'm sure you ran into them by now. They're everywhere. Good luck." I say as I start walking down the street.

"Hey! Come with me!" He says as I turn back around to face him.

I shake my head. "I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, you don't even know my name." I remind him.

"Well, what's your name?" He asks.

I chuckle. "Ashley. Ashley Grant. Call me Ash. It was nice to meet you Rick, but I still can't go with you." I say with a small smile.

"Why not? You'd be safer. Do you even have a gun? Or a knife?" He asks.

"Well, no... But I've made it this far without killing anything." I say to him.

"Please? We can find them together. Besides, there's a refugee camp in Atlanta. There'll be more survivors. Just like us." He says.

I think about it. It could all just be a lie. But, he looks like he really wants me to go with him. Like, he wants to protect me. But, I don't want anyone to protect me. I want to do the protecting for once. Maybe, I can keep Rick safe. And his family. That's it! That's what I'll do!

I look back up at him with a smile. "Okay. I'll go with you. But on one condition." I say to him as his smile only grew.

"What? What is it?" He asks.

"I get to protect you. I don't want you risking your life to save me, got it? I'm gonna be protecting you and your family when we find them. Do we have a deal?" I ask him.

He thinks about it a couple seconds. He nods his head. "How about we protect each other? Have each others backs?" He asks.

I think about that. Finally, I nod. "Alright. Deal." I say with a smile. He smiles back at me.

"Great! Let's go." He says and walks to a brown horse I just realized was there.

My smile gets bigger as I walk to the horse. I lift my hand up and glide it across the neck of the beautiful creature.

Rick holds his hand out for me as he sits on the saddle. I hesitantly grab his hand and he pulls me up with ease. I sit behind him and hold his waist so I don't fall off.

We walk down the street for a few hours. I am starting to get a headache and my brain has been feeling weird. But I'm sure its nothing.

"Ash?" Rick asks from in front of me.

"Yeah, Rick?" I ask as I tiredly lay my head on his shoulder.

"What happened to you? Where's your family?" He asks.

I lift my head off his shoulder and look down. "They're gone. My father killed my mother, she turned and she ate him. I left as quickly as I could." I said glaring at the moving ground.

"I'm sorry." He whispers.

I sigh and rest my head on his shoulder again. "Its okay. My father was never really nice since my older sister died a few years ago. My mother was too scared to do anything about it. To be honest, so was I." I tell him. I don't know why I'm telling him this. He's just so easy to talk to. I guess because he's a cop.

"I'm so sorry. It must have been so hard for you. If only I met you then." He says. I can hear the scowl on his face.

I chuckle. "It's alright, Sheriff. I'm okay now. It was at the beginning. I didn't come all this way to mope around and let the biters get me." I say.

"You sure are looking on the bright side of things." He says. I smile at him. He nudges his shoulder at me. "Hey, look. We're here." He says.

I look up and see we are crossing a bridge right to Atlanta. I can tell just by the size of the city that there will be trouble.

"Atlanta, here we come." I mumble