Chapter Fourteen

Beginne am Anfang

"You're, you-" I was tongue tied, speechless at the sight of the ocean blue flames that matched her eyes traveling along her skin effortlessly.

"An Inhuman? Yes. I have the Kree gene that allowed me to transition, to transform into something better than human. In the past few years many more of us have discovered ourselves. We are slightly different than you but no less powerful." She extinguished the flame and looked back to me, her eyes glowing. "You see, you're not special anymore. There's hundreds of us, and you're just another face in the crowd. A face we need to get rid of."

"What are you planning?" I hissed, straining ever so slightly, enough that I could feel the metal chains moving apart, twisting and sliding apart.

Rebekah laughed, a pretty, sweet laugh and stood, gathering her clipboard.

"Wouldn't you like to know," she said sweetly. Just then, the lights turned off, and a red light flicked on, swirling around the room and casting eerie shadows in Rebekah's face. A siren blared, pulsing in my head. She grinned widely, like a shark.

"Ah, it's already begun."

In one swift movement, I snapped the chains that attached me to the wall, and as a result snapped the ones binding my arms around my waist. My hands fell heavily to my sides, the sudden release causing my muscles to burn. My hands were still encased in the metal, and although I couldn't use my powers, I still have the metre long length of chain hanging of the end of my restraints.

I had a weapon.

I glanced up at Rebekah, who was trying to get the door to open but her hands fumbled with her key card. I flicked a wrist, and the chain smashed across the table, denting it. She turned around, her eyes wide with not confidence now but fear. She flipped out a knife from under her skirt, and it glinted in the flashing red light.

"I called your bluff," I said, stepping onto the table, the chains clanking around me.

"What bluff?" she said, trying to sound cocky, but the tremble of fear was in her voice.

"You're an Inhuman, sure. But you've only just gained your power. You don't know how to use them yet. I bet you can only set yourself on fire, and nothing else," I jumped down from the table and stepped towards her. She shrunk into the door, her knife held tightly in her hand. Her knuckles were white, and so was her face. She wasn't so tough now that I had the advantage.

"I may not have my powers, but I know I can beat you, even without them," I gestured to the door behind her. "Open it, and I won't kill you."

"You will. That's what you do," she spat, but nonetheless she turned and slid her key card into the slot, then punched in a code. The door buzzed and unlocked. Rebekah moved out of my way, and I pushed past her into a hallway filled with the same sirens and flashing red lights.

I turned around just as she threw herself at me, knife in hand. It missed me as I dodged it, and then I hit her in the back of the head with one metal encased hand. It was hard enough to kill a human, but just enough to knock out an Inhuman.

I ran down the hallway, trying to see in the hard lighting. As I rounded one corner I smashed face first into a very hard chest. I fell, the metal on my hands unbalancing me and clattering to the floor.

"Keight?" Steve said above me. His chest had been the one I had smashed into. Sam was behind him, looking both confused and angry at the sight of my restraints.

"A little help here? I don't have any hands," I held out my hands encased in metal as if to reemphasize me point. With no hesitation, Steve gripped both my hands and wrenched me up from the floor. "What's happening?"