Planted

Ryatzi leaped to his paws as footsteps approached the second exit. Taz dropped straight through the skylight and got attacked; he and Sethral wrestled across the floor, whooping and laughing.

Creatures came running up from Stormhole at the noise. Whipper hugged Silversand half to death, then located Wing and glued himself to the mutt's back. Taz, Fletch and Sethral were all talking at once, overlapping, interrupting and laughing as they tried to get the conversation straight. Sethral tackled Taz again. It took all of ten heartbeats for Firebrand and Wing to figure out they had shared territory before Winter's army had formed, and they started chattering about Hawkfeather.

Silversand released Jay and scanned the group. Whipper was still hugging Wing, and his eyes were closed. He looked tense.

"Whipper?" she said. "Is everything okay?"

Whipper shook his head.

Creatures fell silent one by one. Silversand looked around and noticed Ryatzi backed against the side of the hall. He was watching Whipper and the newly arrived Coppertails. Fletch and Whipper seemed to be avoiding his gaze.

Whipper pointed to Stormhole, then tapped something on Wing's shoulder. The mutt led the way to the underground room.

Silversand hung back until it was only her and Ryatzi in the hall. "Ratty, is something wrong?"

'I don't know.' He looked scared. 'They keep looking at me.'

Taz's head appeared in the Stormhole entrance. "Ryatzi? Silver? We need you guys."

Silversand flicked out her tail. Ryatzi crept to her side and let her lead the way after the Rocklander. She expected him to take his usual seat beside Sethral, but he sat by the stairs instead.

Whipper looked around and managed a smile. "Hi everybody. I know Loki's not here yet, but I want to know the best and worst news from each of you from this past year. Best first. Does somebody want to start?"

"You do," said Wing.

Whipper blushed and ducked his head. "Well... for those who don't know, I spent the last year in the North forest. The forest survived. It's not what it used to be, but it's alive. And I didn't meet them, but I'm not the last Forester anymore."

"Oh, Whipper!" Silversand flung herself on him.

Creatures were smiling and laughing. The buzz had barely died when Whipper told Silversand to go next.

Silversand grinned. "Well, it's slightly less surprising because you all know me already, but I found the Royals. Their fur's all grey instead of silver, they've lost their seventh senses and they don't want to come back, but they exist."

More laughs, more excitement. Wing, next in the circle, rolled his eyes. "Feeling anticlimactic here. I'm the Black Prince again and can track a rabbit over solid rock. I hope you can find some use for me."

Sethral flung herself on him.

Jay chuckled. 'Sorry to upstage you again. I met two Sabletine and discovered that water elementals exist.'

"Don't feel bad, Wing; I needed Taz to come track me down. But I survived a Whitewing attack, which I guess is a plus..."

"Yeah, so in case anybody hadn't noticed, I found Fletch and came back here, which I'd say are the two biggest highlights of the last two years."

"For those who don't know me, I'm Firebrand. I met up with Taz on his way to find his brother, and I guess I'm still here? My good news is a potential lead on a hunt for Forestairs. I'm trying to beat Winter to them, for personal reasons."