Acceptance

(Jack's POV)

I woke up to being vigorously shaken by my first mate Gibbs. I stood up and glared at Gibbs.
"Cap'n, if I may ask, why are you sleeping on the floor, outside your cabin. Get drunk again and pass out on the floor?" He chuckled. I wasn't in the mood to laugh, Lydia and the memories of last night flooded back into my mind.
I regretted everything I said. I didn't mean anything, truly. She didn't deserve any of that. I really messed up and needed to sort it out with my daughter, be a better parent than my parents were to me. Make up for the 13 and a half years I missed out of her life.
"Cap'n?" Gibbs said sounding slightly concerned.
I put my ear to my cabin door and heard her gentle snores, it made me smile. For the first time I felt affection toward someone. The feeling was foreign but I welcomed it for Lydia's sake. Gibbs gave me a questionable look and I realised sooner or later i'd have to tell him. I decided now, while she's asleep and I'll talk to her when she wakes.

"Master Gibbs'," I began.
"Yes Cap'n" he replied sharply.
I led him to a more secluded area where nobody could hear us at the helm.
"Master Gibbs', last night, Lydia came to talk to me,"
"And?" He questioned.
"To put it bluntly, she, err is my daughter," I stuttered.

Gibbs' jaw dropped a considerable amount.

"I never really took you as a father figure Jack. Angelica I presume," he figured.

"Yes, she's dead," I muttered.
Gibbs patted me on the shoulder and looked over the horizon, unsure of what to say.

"It's alright Gibbs, I'm more worried about my daughter. You see, when she told me, I freaked out, and was in grief and I.....got really angry, she called me dad and I shouted at her telling her not to, I stormed out and slammed the door, it's a wonder you didn't hear." I worried.

"Jack you need to talk to her," Gibbs advised.

"Yes I know that master Gibbs'. She's really upset, I heard her crying, I just need to work it out with her Gibbs, alas, better now than never," I sighed. I glanced back at my cabin looking back at the floor, pulling out my compass again as the arrow darted to her. Maybe my daughter is what I've been looking for all this time. I've had countless adventures but the most challenging one will be becoming a parent, and I want the chance to experience it, for me and for her. My daughter.

Gibbs smiled nervously and a made my way down the stairs across the deck. I reached my cabin door and slowly turned the doorknob in an attempt to be quiet. As I entered the cabin, I saw Lydia sleeping peacefully. Her rosy cheeks were still tearstained from last night and an immense amount of guilt bubbled inside of me. I sat down on the side of her bed and took her hand in mine.

(Lydia's POV)

I stirred slightly as I felt the motion of someone's thumb gently rubbing circles on the back of my hand. As I slowly opened my eyes I saw Jack. My eyes instantly brimmed with tears as Jack looked into my eyes. I could see something in his emotion. Sadness? No it couldn't be, not Jack, he didn't feel sadness, or remorse, did he? Jack smiled at me which brought an instant level of confusion to me. I remember what happened last night and prayed that the tears wouldn't fall but they didn't oblige, they rolled down my face, Jack reached his hand out and ran the pads of his thumbs along my cheek, giving me and affectionate smile with tears in his eyes which confused me even more. I thought my father felt no emotion, especially after last night.

"Lydia, I am so sorry sweetheart," Jack whispered looking down. Sweetheart? Sorry? I thought he didn't care, but all I wanted was for him to care.
"If I could take everything back I would Lydia," Jack said now looking into my eyes. I could clearly see the tears he was trying to fight back.
"I guess I just wasn't ready to accept that I had a child, especially after your mother's death."
My heart broke at the mention of her.
"But after I left, I heard you cry, and...please forgive me Lydia, I know that you have wanted to know your father for so long, and I let you down, I really let you down," Jack said as the tears he were holding back fell, showing his weaknesses.