[7]

The dark corridors seemed endless, winding and twisting with no apparent destination. Sasori lit a torch, and then light flooded the place. Continuing down the corridor, she noticed that several of them looked old and unused. She decided that she'd rather not know what lurked in the shadows concealing them. They were drawing close to where the members stayed -- well, where Hidan stayed, at least. She could sense it, an ethereal being swooping down to imprison yet another sacrifice within it's clutches. Jashin-sama, she supposed.

How she knew Hidan, she couldn't recall. Neither could she remember how she met all the other members. She knew them, and they knew her. Her life after the age of 3 was fuzzy. She couldn't seem to recall details as clearly anymore. She had met Zabuza and Haku when she was... 5? She used to be so sure of that. Now it was a lingering question, simply a guess.

Confusion laced her mind, although she was careful not to show it. She knew it a week ago didn't she? And 5 days ago she was telling a story to Sasuke about some dumbass thing the did when she was... how old was she? What did she do? But now wasn't the time to dwell on it. Sasori and Deidara's footsteps paused, and so did hers. They had arrived at the lion's den. She stepped forward and raised a hand, knocking on the door, the harsh sound echoing through the silence.

"Come in," a deep voice said. It didn't sound human. Rather, it sounded... monotone. Devoid of life. Robotic. "I've been expecting you."

And she twisted the doorknob with no hesitance whatsoever, striding confidently into the lion's den with the two Akatsuki members trailing after her. Wonder they did, how a child walked into the office with confidence they wished they had when they first did.

Wonder they did, indeed.

°°°
Her eyes looked different. He couldn't explain it. He had seen many things in his life. The fear flashing on someone's face as they knew with certainty that they were going to take their last breath on the battlefield. The pain one experienced as they witnessed death. They joy when one is saved from death. A whole spectrum of emotions, he had seen, but never had he seen one like hers.

Cold. Jaded. Apathetic. Tired. Calming. Defiant. Raging. Soothing. Lively. Dead. A whole spectrum of opposite emotions.

That was what he decided on. For there was no real word to describe what exactly he saw. She sauntered over to the seat in front of him, causing him to raise an eyebrow, but he stayed silent. Sasori and Deidara moved up to stand behind the chair, looking unsure.

"So, Nagato," she began. He stiffened. She wasn't supposed to be in possession of this information. "This plan of yours. To collect all the tailed beasts, reform the ten tails, and use it to stop all wars through fear. Elaborate on it, won't you? And while you're at it, Obito, come out of the shadows. It wouldn't be fun if you didn't divulge some information about plan Tsuki no Me, would it?"

He paused to recollect himself, then spoke once again. "Sasori. Deidara. Dismissed."

Footsteps echoed. A door slid shut. And the three of them were alone.

°°°
"You plan to achieve peace through means of scaring the people into it, is the end statement. Correct me if I'm completely wrong in every aspect of this statement and if this is not the basis of what you're doing." She drawled out, clearly unimpressed. Nagato remained silent.

"And you," she spoke, turning to Obito. He flinched. "you plan to create a world of dreams to substitute for reality just so you can get Rin back. You're willing to trade the lives of all on this planet to do so. How sweet. But what happens when we die? Do we still dream. If do we drift off into eternal, dreamless slumber?" He too, remained silent.

"I'll go greet the other members now," she finally said. "Remember the words said in here."

And she was gone, only the lingering echoes of her words proof that she ever was there.

°°°
She walked out of the corridor, rounding the corner into the kitchen only to be met with a frying pan flying at her face. She narrowly dodged it, catching it as it flew by her face. Somewhat surprised, she walked over and set it on the kitchen table. Itachi inclined his head in greeting. Kakuzu didn't even spare a glance and continued to count his money. Akari took a seat across from him. He was the only member apart from Kisame  and Konan she hadn't met before.

"I don't like the way you smell." She decided to say.

"Oh? Pray tell, what do I smell like?" Kakuzu asked, not glancing up from the crisp bills in his hand.

"Blood money." She offhandedly said, as easily as butter sliding off her tongue. Kakuzu paused for a fraction of a second, then continued to count.

"Sounds reasonable." He said, apathy laced in his tone.

"Who's bounty?" She inquired, changing the topic.

"B-rank rogue from Kiri. He wasn't worth my time, but the money was."

"Tedious work. I'm almost too lazy to kill them sometimes."

Itachi watched with slight incredulity as an onlooker of their conversation. But, damn though, she had said more than 10 words to him and she hadn't been killed yet. That was quite the feat. Kakuzu didn't even seem angered or annoyed in the least.

Itachi gave them one last glance and went back to peacefully reading his book.

Until a plate flew at him.

°°°

Akari watched as Hidan and Deidara insulted each other repetitively, tossing forks and pans and whatever they could get their hands on in the kitchen.

"Say that again, you bench!" Deidara hissed, onion in hand.

"I said you can't fight for shit, blonde bimbo! You got a fucking problem?!" Hidan all but screeched, wielding a pot.

"If I can't fight then what the fuck can you do?!"

"Better in a fight!"

"Try me, bitch! FuckiNG TRY ME--"