5. Emperor Du Liang

Start from the beginning

Xia Chun softly laughed. It was one of those with rare sincerity as though the shackles of the imperial palace were not holding him down.

But he also subconsciously felt the countless people in the shadows brought by Yin Hua Lei. This girl wasn't exaggerating earlier, she really brought half of their forces to this place so he was complacent.

Regarding the talk of showing one's true self, Xia Chun could only smile in mockery.

Since he was born as a crown prince inside that cage that ate people raw, he had to feign weakness. Always pretending to be powerless and acting like he was only holding an empty title.

It was effective because he was the one who succeeded in the end. When he ascended the throne, he didn't put the effort to change his reputation. He found it easier to catch prey when they thought they were the predator. And he had been doing that for twenty-six years.

So who was he to admonish Yin Hua Lei for being a wolf under sheep's clothing?

Xia Chun stood up after finishing his noodles.

"It's time to go back."

Once again, he would wear his dragon robes.

It was afternoon when they got back to the palace safe and without noise.

"Bi xia, this servant..." almost died!

Eunuch Min had red eyes and looked like he aged a lot in a span of one day.

Why wouldn't he be? He had to fend off princes, concubines and ministers who requested audience with the Emperor the whole day.

Heavens knew how nerve-wrecking it was! One mistake and the cat would be out of the bag.

"Min Tong, you've gotten complacent over the years. Zhen[1] arranged this as an exercise for you."

The old eunuch's face went blank when he heard that. How could this be an exercise? This was clearly a death sentence!

"Welcome back, your Majesty, Mistress." Xin Ling who was supposed to be Yin Hua Lei was invited inside the receiving hall, signalling the end of the punishment.

The maid knelt outside for a whole day but still saluted without fail.

Emperor Du Liang looked at her briefly and ordered Eunuch Min to bestow a golden bracelet to the girl.

To which Xin Ling kowtowed in gratitude. She was a mere maid although she was a first-rank palace maid who grew up with an imperial daughter so this was a big grace for her.

Yin Hua Lei threw a look of dissatisfaction at her Uncle Emperor.

The old man still knew his conscience.

"What?" Xia Chun snorted at her.

He could read the young lady's well-hidden thoughts.

"Change clothes while Zhen reads memorials. Then sit for a while and eat snacks. Zhen's people will think We are cruel if We send you right away after kneeling for so long." The Emperor ordered while sitting on the mahogany chair of his study desk.

Yin Hua Lei curtsied, never forgetting her manners. "Niece thanks Uncle Emperor for the grace. But Uncle Emperor should be reminded that next time, send word ahead of time before punishing this Lei like this."

The Emperor only waved his hand to send her away then turned to Min Tong.

"Tell, has Zhen spoiled that niece too much? We still have to send word before punishing?"